Part 12

"Do you also have the feeling that Namjoon-hyung has been hiding something from us lately? He's acting all secretive." Jungkook looks contemplative. Worried. Taehyung's not entirely sure why he's directing that question at him though, because honestly he doesn't know Namjoon as well as the other members do.

"I don't know," is his reply, and with that the topic is from the table and they move back to studying, Taehyung Japanese and Jungkook English.

Still, Jungkook is right. There's been something off about Namjoon lately. He's different than usual. It's not that his personality has changed or anything, but sometimes there's something that he quite obviously tries to hide, at least from Taehyung and apparently Jungkook as well.

"Just some boring company stuff," he'll say whenever Taehyung finally asks him about that concerned look on his face, but that's an answer that the younger boy doesn't really buy. When he first joined the band, Namjoon had been adamant on everything being important to all the members. He had explained to Taehyung that his role as the leader means that he's the connection between the company and band meaning that whenever the company comes to him about something, it is important for the entire band. Why the sudden change within such a short amount of time from terribly important to terribly boring then?

"You just focus on your studying, Taehyung," Namjoon will follow up if Taehyung doesn't look quite convinced, which is unfair. The leader knows that the topic of studying is something that Taehyung takes ridiculously serious, especially now that Bang PD-nim is contemplating on whether or not to let Taehyung go back to school.

"If that's something you're interested in," the CEO had trailed off one day. Taehyung hadn't even had to give a verbal answer, his eyes sparkling full of joy spoke for themselves.

"Study hard and take an entrance exam. If you pass, we'll send you back to school."

And Taehyung's definitely studying hard. Maths, English, Japanese, and whatever else damn subject there is. Jimin's helping him with it. If it all turns out okay, they might even be placed in the same class. That idea alone fills Taehyung with excitement. Lately his excitement is like a glass that's being filled with water, but the water never stops and it spills over the edges and Taehyung's not entirely sure how to release all that happiness that's building up within him. He smiles a lot and he laughs a lot, but he still thinks that it's not enough. He wants to scream it from the rooftops, how happy he feels when waking up in the morning. He's never felt so much joy before in his life.

So yes, Namjoon's obviously trying to hide something from Jungkook and himself. Taehyung doesn't know if he hides it from the other members as well, but either way it's unfair. What happened to the group sticking together and all that stuff he spouted when Taehyung first joined them? Not that Taehyung can claim that he's the most honest person of them all.

But that's something entirely different.
___

A thunderstorm keeps Taehyung awake at night. They are more common at this time of the year, when summer's still young. They often show up so quickly that it's hard to be fast enough to seek shelter in buildings. The blue sky tricks innocent people into thinking that they're safe in keeping their umbrellas at home, before sneaking up on them with rain.

Taehyung hates thunderstorms. He's never liked loud noises, not since his father decided to shatter an empty beer bottle close to his head. These sounds make him anxious. Rationally he knows that thunderstorms can't hurt him, or that the sound of broken glass isn't painful, or that a car that honks won't mean him any harm, but it's still hard to stop the trembling of his hands once he's startled by things like these.

And it's so hard to fall asleep when the anxiety's thrumming through his veins.

Taehyung almost misses the whimper after a particularly loud thunder. It's worse in cities, the way the thunder resounds between the tall buildings. But the whimper is loud enough for him to pick up, and for a second Taehyung freezes because please, not again. He doesn't think he'd be able to handle the sound of someone masturbating and thunder all at once. There's only so much he can take.