Part 30

The last place Taehyung expects to bump into Jimin after first hearing the rumour is at the supermarket near the company building, but that's exactly where it happens. He turns the corner, arms full of protein bars and Gatorade, when he spots both Jimin and Jungkook in front of the refrigerator that holds sandwiches. Neither of them has spotted him yet, so Taehyung scrambles back and carefully looks around the corner.

He can't hear what they are talking about, but they stand close together and Jimin's arm is casually thrown across Jungkook's shoulder. Jimin wears a bright red beanie, black baggy pullover and grey jogging pants, but as far as Taehyung can tell he has gained a bit of weight again, his cheeks fuller than the last time he saw him. Both of them are laughing about something and Taehyung tries to figure out what to do. Should he act like he hasn't seen them and head straight to the cashier, hoping that they won't spot him on the way? Or should he go up and say hi?

Jungkook slowly started acting normal around them again, but only after a scolding from Bang PD and Namjoon ordering the entire group to sit down together to talk things out. Taehyung hadn't had particularly much to add to the conversation, but it was interesting to observe how the problem was eventually solved. Namjoon had asked Jungkook for more respect and to not completely disregard his orders, because he only wants what's best for the youngest. Jungkook had apologized as well, and Namjoon had officially allowed him to hang out with Jimin again – which he had done the entire time anyway – after the scandal had been debunked as a rumour by the company.

A rumour. Taehyung knows that's not what it was. Jungkook had slipped up without noticing when he had told Taehyung that Jimin knew he had done something wrong. The company must have known as well if the decision on whether or not he was allowed to remain as a trainee had been pending by the time Jungkook had accused Taehyung of being judgemental. There was something they were trying to cover up, and Taehyung had no idea who he could turn to in order to talk about this.

"Hyung?"

Taehyung startles out of his thoughts and drops one of the protein bars he's been trying to balance. Jungkook jogs over to him to pick it up and help take some of the others Taehyung's still struggling with, while Jimin trails after him with an apprehensive look on his face and a pack of sandwiches in each hand.

"What are you doing here?" Jungkook asks once he's made sure that none of the products Taehyung still holds on to threaten to fall.

"Hoseok needed someone for a supply run before dance practice this afternoon, and since our maknae was missing I was the lucky chosen one," Taehyung teases. Jungkook smiles sheepishly at that and apologizes half-heartedly, and by that time Jimin has reached them and comes to a halt next to Jungkook, looking awkward and entirely out of place.

"I can help you carry everything back. Hyung and I were just done here anyway," Jungkook exclaims, and before either Taehyung or Jimin have the chance to protest, the youngest makes his way to the cashier with half of Taehyung's groceries in his arms and without looking back.

Taehyung looks at Jimin, and Jimin looks at Taehyung, and it's really really really awkward.

"I was trying to hide from you guys," Taehyung blurts out before he can actually think about what he's saying, and Jimin looks up perplexed.

"What?"

"I mean... that might have come across as a bit weird? This is-" Taehyung gestures between the two of them with the one hand he can finally move after Jungkook has relieved him from some of the items he had been trying to juggle, "awkward. And I saw you guys, and I didn't want to make it awkward for any of us. So I tried to hide."

It sounds ridiculous when he says it out loud, and why the heck had he wanted to share that piece of information with Jimin in the first place? Such a dumb idea.