Part 22

September morphs into October and nothing much changes except for the colours of the leaves on the branches of the trees. There's practice and then there's more practice, recording and training. They've been put on a diet now, all of them, and it's quite ridiculous to Taehyung because none of them look like they need a diet. Everyone sticks to it though, but occasionally they sneak Jungkook chocolate when the youngest looks beyond exhausted.

Actually they all look beyond exhausted most of the days now for all kinds of reasons. Too much practice, too little food, too many worries about a possible debut. Except for Jungkook, everyone is very much aware of the fact that even though they now have a debut song, their actual debut is still far out of reach, and everyone is also very much aware of the fact that the reason for this can be attributed to Taehyung.

Hoseok tries not to act different towards him, Taehyung can see that he really does try, but he's not succeeding. There's worry etched on his features that can almost rival Namjoon's, but it's less worry for Taehyung and more worry for the group. Jungkook, on the other hand, clings to Taehyung more than ever before. He's assertive enough to notice the tension between all of them, and although he doesn't understand it or why it's there, he's on Taehyung's side. Taehyung likes spending time with Jungkook most, because he's the only one who treats him normal. No worried glances towards him, no conversations about him behind his back. Taehyung doesn't want to pick favourites, but right now he really prefers spending time with Jungkook more than spending time with everyone else.

And then there's Jimin, whom he still barely manages to see, although he tries scheduling meetings with him. Jimin will either ditch him right away or last minute – it has both happened by now – and when he does spend time with Taehyung he seems lacklustre, as if spending time with Taehyung is a bother. Taehyung doesn't want to admit it, but that hurts. He likes Jimin. He trusts him. Jimin is the only person he confided in because he actually wanted to, not because he was forced to. Being dropped like a hot potato by Jimin, the first actual friend he had made at BigHit and in life really, feels like a punch in the gut. An unpleasant one. But if Jimin doesn't want to spend time with him, then Taehyung doesn't want to be a bother, so eventually he stops texting him.

Namjoon returns back to the dorm later than usual one night, and the other five boys are gathered in the living room, waiting for him anxiously. Jungkook's head is lying on Taehyung's lap, and Taehyung plays with the boy's black hair absentmindedly. Even Jin stayed over, and he's currently trying to pass time by playing a game on his phone. But time just doesn't seem to move on.

"This is ridiculous," Yoongi huffs. Everyone agrees, but no one actually answers. "They're supposed to listen to one song, so why does it take them two hours?"

One song. 'No More Dream'. Their debut song. They finished recording for it a week ago, after being called back to the studio over and over again to sing and rap the song differently a hundred times. And then it had gone into mixing, and the final product- well, the final product was finished earlier today, and Namjoon is in a meeting with Bang PD-nim to get it sanctioned. If this is it, if PD-nim agrees to this being good, that means that they can set their debut date. That it won't be far off anymore. Maybe even in 2012 still. Anything can happen Everyone's hopeful. Everyone's waiting for Namjoon with bated breath.

And everyone knows that the song wasn't approved the moment Namjoon steps into their dorm. His body language screams disappointment. Shoulders drooping low, no smile on his face. He kicks off his shoes with more force than necessary.

"You're kidding?" Hoseok asks with a pleading voice when Namjoon just shakes his head at them. But it's not a joke. It would be too cruel. Namjoon is not the kind of person to break someone's heart before bringing the good news. He's too kind for that.