Chapter 8

Mea's POV

The boys all hooted and whistled at me, slapping the table as Z finished the retelling of the story. Not one of my finer days I must admit but it is what it is. Getting up with a baleful look at Z, I grabbed the closest prospect and pulled him onto the dance floor with me, causing Z to glare at me over the shoulder of the prospect I was dancing with.

I ignored him, I didn't lack for dance partners as I switch up several times with the various prospects and some of the townie boys over the next hour or so until I was parched and had to head back to the table.

Rio decided he was going to try and be funny at that point as well and brought up a memory that I wanted buried for life,

"Mea, remember that time when Z and I came home, you and Tawny were playing Princesses and you were waiting for your knights in shining armor to rescue you?"

Knowing where this would head and refusing to have that memory rehashed tonight I reminded him,

"Remember the time I bailed your ass out of jail so you owe me and will be helping Tawny and I move this weekend? Remember that time?"

Seeing the look in my eye he realized that perhaps tonight wasn't the night to poke that particular bear, he bit his tongue instead taking a big pull from his bottle of beer.

As it approached 1 am I could feel the fatigue starting to set in and decide that it is time to hit the road. As Tawny and I get up to head out the prospects do the sweet thing and trip over themselves to offer rides but a glare from the Z they are informed th that we will be riding with him and Rio.

As has been the way since they boys were old enough to drive bikes I didn't hesitate to climb on the back of Z's knowing Tawny was already on Rio's. The argument originally being that Z found it creepy to have his sister's legs locked around his hips, which to be fair at the time grossed both Tawny and I out so we settled on her riding with Rio and me on with Z and it has been that way ever since.

As we head back into the suburban streets of town instead of taking the road that would take us to Momma K and Pops' we turned down the side streets that would take us to Rio's. As we turn down the street where Tawny and my new house is I raise my arm pointing at it and the sold sign on the lawn as we drove by.

Pulling up in front of Rio's garage moments later we park the bikes and step off. I set the spare helmet back on Z's seat and shook my hair out watching Rio open the garage door, making his way over to the beer fridge and coming back with 4 cold ones. 

We make our way over to the veranda and take up residence on the swing and chairs, Z however opts to sit on the railing in front of the swing, bracing himself against it as he fiddles with the label on the bottle of beer he holds.

For the next bit we just talk, like we used to in the old days. Rio asked about school and stuff in the city while Z just remained silent, taking it all in. We take turns asking about what is new in town, who is with whom, about the businesses that we had seen closed and those that were now open.

Time seemed to be in a bubble as we catch up on the past few years in each others' lives sharing stories and memories before we all heard the less than ladylike snoring emitting from beside me.

Tawny had crashed and there would be no waking her now. Rio volunteered to carry her in, gently picking her up and cradling her against his chest he opened the front door and took her inside to our customary guest room.

With their departure things got quiet, you could feel the change in the air, the electricity that always seemed to spark when Z was near. I needed to get away from him before I did something stupid, like I always did when this feeling came over me, so standing up I came face to face with Z as he had stood up from the railing at the same time.