Chapter 4: The Wedding

Emily stared at her reflection in Fleur's full body mirror, feeling quite ethereal in her golden bridesmaid dress. It was the day of the Delacour-Weasley wedding and the household was bustling with energy. There was more than enough vigor in the room to power up a lighthouse; Fleur took the center with her sister and mother helping with her hair and gown, Ginny, Eleanor, Daphne, and Ella were in the make-up section while Emily stayed near the window adjacent to the mirror, unsure what to feel.

She had woken up feeling quite at lost for words. Emily knew to herself that she would be happy on the day of her friend's wedding, but somehow, there was something that made her feel melancholic. What it was she had no idea however it was on the tip of her tongue.

A finger poked her by the shoulder, she looked over and saw the bride herself standing behind her. Emily made room for her to sit, putting on a joyful face. "To what do I owe this pleasure, Mrs. Weasley?" Fleur blushed, she sat next to her bridesmaid and held her by the hand. "You truly are a matchmaker in disguize, you know? If you hadn't pointed out Bill – "

"Hey now." Emily started laughing, "This is all on you two, okay? I just happened to be a small factor of it. With him teaching you English and curse-breaking, how was I even supposed to know you two would hit it off?"

"Well, zmall factor – I have a present for you." Fleur opened her palm and revealed a gold locket in her palm. "It was your mama's, I know how zpecial this iz for you... I have been told it that it had been damaged years ago, zo I had it plated with gold to repair it. It iz goblin-made, zo expect this to lazt for more than centuries." She gently took her hand and turned it over, placing the necklace inside.

Emily looked closer and laughed, feeling her heart swell in double the size. "You embedded the crystal that Luna gave me. Fleur, this is – " True enough, a circular crystal had been set right in the middle of the gold heart.

 Fleur, this is – " True enough, a circular crystal had been set right in the middle of the gold heart

"It is a simple thank you gift for being my friend." She immediately said, "My friend, my bridesmaid – you deserve it. You 'ave done so much for me. This is the least I could do – "

Fleur was rendered silent when, without warning, Emily pulled her into a tight embrace. The woman hugged her in return, stroking her back in a comforting manner once she had realized that the girl's shoulders were heaving as she cried. No words were spoken, but Fleur knew far too well that Emily was not crying tears of joy.

She could tell that Emily was in a state of unhappiness for far too long. Based from their conversation days ago in the bathroom, Fleur had an inkling just how much of a burden was breaking Emily's shoulders. She pushed her away and looked into her eyes, Fleur lifted her chin and smiled kindly. "You really are the ztrongest girl I know, Potter."

Emily laughed harshly, looking back down at the floor. "Thanks." Fleur sighed and began to clasp the locket around the girl's neck, "Laugh at me all you want, I'm the bride and everything I zay goez." As she was about to turn away and face the vanity table again, Fleur briefly looked out the window and saw a dark cloaked figure walking towards The Burrow. The man walked with a dark-wood cane and a bitter scowl.