Chapter 21: Enlightenment

The soothing sound of the ocean pulling back from shore only to return into it took on almost a rhythmic tune to Emily's ears, if she hadn't just woken up from her slumber, she would have had no problem falling asleep on the porch swing

The soothing sound of the ocean pulling back from shore only to return into it took on almost a rhythmic tune to Emily's ears, if she hadn't just woken up from her slumber, she would have had no problem falling asleep on the porch swing. The girl had awakened half-past three o' clock in the morning, wandered around Shell Cottage with bare feet to avoid any mishap, eventually going out to the porch that overlooked the ocean.

It was a beautiful night indeed with the full moon casting a dreamy glow out in the ocean, the sea itself looking like treacherous ripples of inky darkness; Emily could clearly remember a sunset that she had witnessed before that had almost the same comparable beauty as tonight's night sky. The young Slytherin could recall that it was sometime after her first win as Quidditch Captain, and while on a walk for fresh air, she wandered to the Viaduct and watched the most heart-wrenchingly beautiful sunset that she had ever laid eyes on during her stay at Hogwarts.

There was an almost sad note that came with that memory, what it was Emily did not know, it simply presented itself at the mere thought of it. The tremor below her feet and the sound of creaking floorboards roused her suspicion, Emily turned around and sees Draco Malfoy coming from the other end of the wrap-around porch.

He takes a cautionary step back, his eyes uncharacteristically averting her strong gaze. "Oh. Sorry, I didn't know you were here – Or that anyone was awake at all – "

Emily turned her head back to the view of the shore. "Don't worry about it." She said dismissively. Her eyes looked farther into the shore, and eventually meeting the grand ivory face of the full moon. Emily wanted to almost curse at the moon, she wanted something to point a finger at for this unconventional yet ironic circumstance she was now shoved into.

The floorboards creaked again, forcing the girl to tilt her head to the side, gaining minimal sight of him. She could tell that he had gained the courage to look at her without aversion, even through peripheral vision Emily could feel his focus on her and only her. "You couldn't sleep?"

"I had a nap." Draco said instantly, "Then I woke up half an hour ago, what about you?"

"Just the same, actually." Don't say it, Potter. You're making a trap here, and you're the bait – stop it. "Are you going to stand there the whole night or are you going to sit with me?" Emily, ignoring the surge of embarrassment coursing in her stomach, now turned back to Draco who stared at her with great wonder. "I was thinking of going for a walk along the beach, you can come with me if you'd like."