Chapter 12: Shrouded Faces

During the period of which Emily worked at Fred & George's joke shop, she had helped concoct a rather extensive line of items that included daydream charms, the skiving snack box, and a majority of objects from both WonderWitch and Dark Arts product lines. At times when there were no new products to release or to work on, Emily would tinker with her own inventions.

One of the few that she made was a simplified version of Marlene Bates' family heirloom, the lock picking kit. The witch managed to replicate the ability of opening locks onto a hyper-malleable piece of metal she made from several transfiguration spells. It looked quite similar, but rather thinner, to a knitting needle to which Emily received raised eyebrows from Daphne once she pulled it out from the satchel.

They were in central London, more specifically on the doorstep of Andra Penrose's townhouse. Emily and Daphne left Blaise in a parked car two blocks away, not wanting to risk triggering his Trace.

"What exactly are you going to do with that?"

Emily stabbed the needle into the keyhole without any further warning, making her friend jump in nervousness. A few clicking sounds rang past their ears and within seconds, the door swung open. "It still needs some fixing, but it gets the job done." The Potter girl said, ushering Daphne in the flat, locking the door behind them.

"Is that – That's the woman, right?" Emily's eyes trailed to the direction where Daphne pointed and saw a petite platinum blonde woman sleeping on the living room rug. Once the girls came closer to Andra, they saw the howler lying adjacent to her face, confirming that their plan truly worked without a hitch. They quickly lifted the woman in their arms and settled her in her couch, removing all evidence that could lead back to any one of them.

"Should we make it look like she passed out from drinking?" Emily asked, looking over her shoulder to see Daphne, but to her surprise, she was already gone. Moments later, the girl came back with her gloved hands holding a rock glass and a bottle of fire whiskey. "You read my mind." Daphne smiled deviously, placing the items on the table and then pouring a moderate amount into the glass.

The entire setting had Emily satisfied, but Daphne went to the next level and went all out to put Andra as a fake alcoholic. The girl dipped two fingers in the glass and lightly dabbed the liquid near the corners of the woman's mouth, followed by tilting the glass towards her lips to give off the sent of fire whiskey.

"Wow, and I thought I was devious – what the hell, Greengrass?" Emily exclaimed, not even trying to hide the fact that she was thoroughly impressed. Daphne laughed merrily, "If you have a younger sibling, you'd know a whole lot of tricks to piss them off. Now, let's get to it, shall we?"

Emily knelt before the ministry official, her eyes taking in every single detail about her appearance. The curly platinum blonde hair, the petite body frame, the small button nose – "I have to warn you, the glamour charm doesn't work like Polyjuice, there will be some inconsistencies, but not noticeable ones. Also, don't be alarmed when you look in the mirror. You'll still look like yourself to your eyes – "

"Just get it over with and hit me – "

From her wand burst a shower of golden sparks, smacking Daphne full in the face with light. She began waving her hands in front of her nose, desperate to air out the sparkles that almost blinded her. "I'm starting to think you want to kill me."

"You said hit me,"

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever. How do I look?"

Emily waited until the light burned out, revealing a short woman with platinum blonde corkscrew curls. She stepped closer and immediately saw the difference, across the pale porcelain skin there was a splash of light brown freckles diagonally to her button nose and cheeks. "Oh no, we forgot to look at her eyes. Damn." She stepped aside and gently lifted Andra's eyelid with a gloved finger, earning a well-deserved breath of air once she saw that Daphne already had roughly the same shade of cerulean blue eyes.