five

five stay

five
stay

The Blinders were going to the races. From what Anna had been told (or overheard), she knew that they were going for more than to just place a bet. However, despite her feeling more in the loop, she was under strict instructions to stay in the shop and finish up some work.

Michael was staying with her as he had no business at the races either, although Anna wasn't sure whether this was a blessing or a curse.

Walking into the office, she sat at her desk, looking over all she had to do. Lighting a cigarette, she leant back and began to read everything. It wasn't long before Polly was in Anna's office, suited and booted for the races.

"Mum?" Polly didn't greet her. Instead, she walked over, placing a basket on Anna's desk. She first took out a loaf of bread, then three roles of cash. When Anna's gaze shifted from the money to her mother, she was met with a stern stare.

"What's that?"

"Yours. You get on a train to London, start a new life." Anna had no response. She had just began a new life, she didn't want to start another one. Luckily, Polly didn't stick around for an answer. She repacked the bread and marched out, leaving Anna speechless.

Shortly after Polly left the office, Michael appeared but Anna didn't look up to greet him; not even when he stood next to her desk, looking down on her and the money.

"What was that about?" Anna didn't respond, her mind too busy debating what to do. "Anna?" Michael leaned down, placing both hands on her desk either side of the money.

"She wants me to move."

"Where?"

"I don't know, she said London."

"London? Are you going to?"

"I don't know." Anna reached for another cigarette, having stubbed the last one out when her mum came in.

"Brilliant." Michael practically shouted, storming back out of the office with no regards for the ever growing pile of papers on his desk.

Pushing the thought of leaving to the back of her mind, she placed the money in her desk draw and began working. It was half an hour before Michael returned, slamming the office door behind him when he did.

He placed a piece of paper on Anna's desk before removing his coat and going to sit at his own. Upon inspection, Anna saw that the paper had a list of dates and times on it.

"What's this?"

"Train times to London over the next few days."

"That eager to get rid of me?" She looked over to him as he put his pen down and looked back at her, visibly angry.

"Well if it's what you want, there's no point hanging around is there?" Anna was hurt by the way he disregarded her, especially after the moments they had shared recently.