eight

eight till forever falls apart

eight
till forever falls apart

The Shelby foundation dinner was the place to be, with invitations handed out to the elite of Birmingham society. The women were dressed in posh gowns while the Shelby boys sported bow ties and three-piece black suits even more expensive than those they wear day to day. Anna was wearing a low cut, navy blue beaded gown with her hair pinned up and makeup done to perfection.

After helping Grace to bring all this together over the past week, Anna was happy it had all worked out as planned. She walked around the ballroom with a glass of wine in one hand and a cigarette in the other, greeting the guests as if they were her own. She could see herself hosting grand parties like this one day. Eventually among her mingling, she reached Tommy who, along with his suit, was wearing a smile.

"Well I never, Thomas Shelby stood in public with a smile on his face."

"Thank you for everything you've done tonight. Grace was really feeling the stress, I know you've made it a lot easier on her."

"Isn't that what your right-hand-woman's supposed to do? Make your lives easier."

"I suppose you could say that. Anyway, make sure you enjoy yourself tonight, you've earned it." Tommy sent her a small wink before disappearing back into the crowd of very important people. Anna's heart did a little jump knowing that her stone cold cousin was finally happy.

Despite attempting to socialise with everyone, Anna couldn't help but naturally gravitate towards her cousins, who stood, huddled together by the buffet table.

"You boys are doing well socialising."

"Just cause Tommy's now a member of the higher class doesn't mean the rest of us wanna join him." John didn't bother keeping his voice down, clearly not caring about who may hear.

"To be honest, everyone I've spoken to has been a bit boring." Anna reassured him.

"Would've thought you'd fit in with this lot." Arthur joked.

"What on earth would make you think that?"

"Well little miss Tommy 2.0 in the making, would've thought you'd love this kind of thing."

"Well by the looks of it, Tommy's not loving it himself." Finn interjected, all of their eyes shifting towards where his finger was pointing.

Tommy was stood next to Grace but his mind wasn't in the conversation. While the other boys interpreted this as boredom, Anna could see the familiar look of suppressed anger in his eyes. Following his stern gaze, Anna's mouth dried up as she saw who had walked through the door.

Father John Hughes was a very bad man. When Anna was taken from her mother, she was placed in a home before she was adopted after around three months. In those three months she met a little boy who told horrifying stories about what Hughes had done to him.