twelve

twelve you and whose army?

twelve
you and whose army?

When Anna woke the next morning, Michael didn't lay beside her. Glancing to the clock in her room, she saw it was almost seven am. Knowing she was meeting Ron in an hour, she got up and dressed before leaving her room to find Michael and Tommy. Waiting for her downstairs was a cup of tea.

"I heard you get up." A young maid smiled at Anna, clearing up her confusion at the beverage she hadn't asked for.

"Thank you." She returned the smile. Hearing noise from outside, she walked with her tea to the window, sipping on it as she observed what was going on.

Several stable boys were gathered outside, waiting to retrieve the horses which the boys were riding. Tommy led the pack with Michael to his right. He looked as though he belonged there. Anna almost felt as though it was her responsibility to put him in the family, he already meant so much to them. And she was going to risk throwing that all away by meeting Ron.

Shaking that thought from her head, Anna finished her tea. Unable to see any maids, she began walking to the kitchen, pretending that she wasn't going there just to avoid Michael.

The cooks were busy preparing the boys' breakfast. However, upon hearing footsteps, a few of them looked up, their reactions encouraging everyone else to look up also.

"Miss Gray." The most senior looking member of staff finally said.

"Jesus I don't bite." She mumbled. "Where do you put dirty dishes?"

"Let me take that for you." A young girl approached her, cautiously taking the cup and saucer from her hands.

"Can I do anything for you Miss Gray? We didn't get your breakfast order this morning."

"That's because I won't be requiring one." She assured the man, lighting up a cigarette. Confused by what she was doing still there, a few of the staff began to return to their work, the rest stood awkwardly staring at the woman as though she were a mythical creature.

Suddenly, a young man came rushing round the corner, bumping into Anna without even looking at her.

"Watch it!" He shouted, only stopping when he heard gasps from the other workers. Turning on his heels, his eyes widened as he saw who he had just bumped into.

"Oh my god! Please forgive me!" Not wanting to hear his rambling apology, Anna returned to above ground where no one was scared of her.

"There you are." Michel smiled as he noticed her. The rest of the men seemed to halt their conversation there, acknowledging Anna.

"I'm going to the shop." Anna announced, glancing at her watch to see that it was now twenty past seven.

"When will you be back?" Michael asked, staying close to her side like a puppy as she put on her coat.