nine

nineas the world caves in

nine
as the world caves in

In the four days between Grace's death and the funeral, Anna and Tommy spent every waking moment together drinking, riding horses and often just sitting and talking about nothing and everything. He became a sort of father figure to her, teaching her things she never knew before and caring for her how a father would.

She kept him busy so that he didn't have the time to fall into the pit of sadness which followed him threateningly with every move he made. They helped each other at a time when they both needed it most.

Things changed after the funeral though. Tommy had no choice but to face Grace's death head on. Worse than that, he had to face his family. He didn't speak to anyone at the funeral, hoping to go back to his lonely mansion and grieve freely out of the public eye.

Despite Anna's discouragement, the whole family insisted on returning with her to Tommy's home, where they spent the next few days as they felt that's what he 'needed'. Anna and Tommy both knew this to be far from the truth.

Needing to get away from them, Anna took herself off to Charles' nursery where Mary watched over him playing. Anna smiled to her as she looked up.

"Could I have a cup of tea please Mary?"

"Of course Miss Gray."

"And make one for yourself as well." Mary's face lit up.

"If you insist Miss Gray." Although Tommy payed and treated Mary very well, he never interacted with her on a personal level, leaving her often feeling alone. As Mary exited the room, Anna turned her attention to the toddler who was rolling around happily on the floor, completely oblivious that he has just lost one of the most important people in his life.

"What are you doing?" Anna chuckled as the boy rolled across the floor. Anna picked up a toy car which appeared to replicate Tommy's, rolling it along the floor towards where Charles was now sat still. He appeared completely unimpressed by this so Anna decided to try something else. Seeing a teddy bear, she picked it up and walked it along the floor to Charles, causing him to giggle.

The door opened but assuming it was Mary, Anna continued to play with Charles. It was only when the figure failed to move further into the room that she looked up, seeing Michael smiling down on her.

"Mary said you were in here." While her attention was elsewhere, Charles took the opportunity to throw the teddy bear at Anna, once again earning a giggle from him as a shocked expression washed over her.

"I didn't know you were so good with kids."

"Don't be getting any ideas." She joked, but it was too late. "Besides, I told you I looked after the younger kids at the home I was in."

"I know but I still never pictured you being the motherly type."

"I'm sorry to interrupt." Mary awkwardly shuffled into the room. "Mr Shelby would like to see you Anna."