Chapter 2

"Okay class, you know the drill. First class of the year, it's time for ice breakers." Mrs. B said causing the whole room to groan. "Oh come on! You guys have to get to know the person you'll be working with all year! Especially as artists you're going to be very vulnerable with one another," she explained as she handed out sheets of paper with questions on them.

"Samantha... right?" Noah said hesitantly in his deep voice.

"Uh, yeah, well Sam, I go by Sam," I explained causing him to nod and mouth 'Sam' before writing it on the paper next to 'partner's name.'

"Nice to meet you Sam, I'm Noah." He smiled. I know. Everyone knows who Noah is. I just smiled back and wrote his name down.

As I looked up from my paper I saw Mrs. B put her hands on Noah's shoulders.

"It's nice to see a new face in the art program." She said to him. "Don't you worry, you're partnered up with a real vet," she said while smiling at me and walking away.

"A vet? So I guess you're really into art, huh?" Noah asked.

"Uh, yeah, I've been taking this class since freshman year." I explained.

"Wow, that's cool," he said while starring at me. This made me uncomfortable so to break his gaze I said the first thing that came to mind.

"So, what are you doing taking an art class?" I asked hoping it didn't come off as rude.

"What? You don't think I like art?" He asked while smiling.

"No I didn't mean it like that, I meant why the sudden interest?" I explained.

"Well between you and me I've always had an interest in art. I just never took a class and i decided it was now or never considering it's our last year of high school. So here I am." He said as he sat back in his chair. I nodded thinking of his response.

"So what do you want to do after high school?" He asked breaking the silence. I was confused at first but then I realized he was asking our ice breaker questions.

"Uh, I want to go to college," I said while thinking. "I don't know where yet but I want to do something with art."

"Interesting," he nodded while writing down my answer.

"So what do you want to do next year?" I asked.

"Mmm," he thought. "Undecided." He responded simply.

~~~

"So, how was everyone's first day?" My mom asked as we all sat down for dinner. All meaning me, my dad, my little brother, Hannah and Jake.

Hannah and Jake always have first day dinner with us it's like a tradition. It's crazy that this is our last one.

"Good," everyone mumbled.

"Cole, how was your first day of High school?" Hannah asked my brother.

"Great!" He said excitedly. He then went on to tell us about all of the girls that tried to sit with him at lunch and how cool it was that he was friends with upperclassmen, but I wasn't really listening.

"Sam," my dad said snapping me out of my gaze. "you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, just thinking." I answered.

"Of Noah..." Jake teased quietly. I gave him a death stare hoping no one heard.

"Noah?" My mom asked. "Do tell," she smiled.

"He's just some guy, that I wasn't thinking of," I glared at Jake. "from my art class."

My mom nodded probably getting the vibe that I didn't care to talk about it.

"I know Noah," Cole said with his mouth full of food.

"How do you know Noah?" I asked confused.

"Football, he's the captain," Cole said in an obvious tone. "Don't worry dad, there's not a chance he'd ever date Sam," Cole teased.

"There's not a chance I'd ever date him so glad we're on the same page." I replied.