Chapter 9 - Everything goes wrong

Elijah and I went back to his place and kinda just talked for a long time. It's been about three weeks and I've started to get more active again and talk to people more now. I was happy. Sub was going to be ok, and Elijah likes me! Life couldn't get any better.

But, as I always am, I was wrong...

"Elijah let's go see Sub! I want to check on him!" I cheered pulling Elijah up from the couch.

"Alright, let me get dressed and then we'll go." He smiled going up to his room.

I'm so excited to see Sub that, I pushed all negative thoughts out of my head and thought about positive and happy thoughts.

"Let's go!" Elijah called pulling a shirt on as he stumbled downstairs. I chuckled and made my way to the front door.

"Hi, we're here to see Sub Extabyte? I'm y/n Extabyte; his sister. And this, is Elijah his best friend." I introduced myself to the lady at the desk. I still felt bad for yelling the other time I was here...

"Oh, yes here you are... I'm- I'm afraid he can't be bothered... he is in critical condition. Very critical..." I felt emotions collide in my body; anger, sadness, grief, but most of all guilt. I didn't know why but, I felt this was all my fault. I stood there, not saying anything no emotion in my face but so many inside.

"Thank you. When can we see him?" Elijah asked trying to conceal that he was upset.

"I'll call you up to the desk when I have more news." Elijah thanked her and took me to the waiting area.

"It's probably nothing. E-everything is going to be fine." Elijah tried comforting me.

I didn't answer. I sat still and straight faced; concerned for my brother and petrified that he wasn't going to be ok. Elijah called our friends and told them the situation. I don't know how long we waited... maybe a few hours till I finally had enough and went straight to the front desk.

"Hi, it's me again. Um, is there any updates on my brother?" I asked. The lady only nodded and sighed.

"Alright, your brother he-"

"Ah, Miss Extabyte! Great to see you, we need to talk." Dean said seriously pulling me away from the lady. I motioned for Elijah to follow and he did.

"Hey doc. How's my brother doing?" I asked outing a small yet sincere smile on my face.

Dean led to his office ignoring my question, sitting me and Elijah down. He took a deep breath rubbed his eyes and readjusted his glasses. "Sub has been in critical condition for the last three hours. His chemo therapy has gone as planned and he has lost the majority of his hair. But, his critical conditions today has led to us finding the cancer has spread from a small fraction of his brain to a large portion of it. Now, what I'm going to tell you is going to upset you even more."

I nodded impatiently and grabbed Elijah's hand and squeezed it. "I've been told you have been waiting for about four hours yes?" I nodded again. "Ok. As I've told you your brother has been in critical condition for three. For the last hour he woke up and... well, he woke up for about ten to fifteen minutes before he passed away. We talked till he did, I talked to him to keep his mind off of the pain. Before he passed though, he told me this: 'Tell my sister that I love her and that I'll always be there for her no matter what. And that she has to live with Elijah. Tell Elijah that he needs to keep my baby sister safe and treat her right. Tell my friends I'll miss them. Oh, and tell Braden he can't have my subscribers. But please tell y/n I love her...' And that's the last thing he said. I'm so sorry y/n. Truly I tried everything to keep him alive. I'm so sorry."

I didn't know what to say. I was upset. No, worse than upset I was broken. I looked at Elijah to see him covering his face with his hands and him crying. I looked at Dean and saw guilt cloud his vision. And then, I looked at my hands, losing all happiness and excitement that once flowed through my veins, that vanished. I just suddenly broke. I broke into tears and started to shake violently. But it wasn't the loud sobbing type of cry. No, it was the silent kind of broken cry.

That was the day I finally broke.