Chapter 1: Dreams

Gale force winds blew through the trees making visibility almost impossible. Behind the dark gray clouds the sun was setting, taking with it the light of day. There should be a path here with torches pointing the way home, but instead there are rose petals scattered heavily all around dotted with what appears to be... blood. Then a scream floats in on the wind. A woman appears, dressed in all white. She's kneeling down visibly shaken, blood staining the bottom of her dress. Her dark hair covers her face and hides her tears, and in her arms she's holding someone.. a man. It's not her blood staining her dress but his. Squinting through the wind the mans identity is revealed to be... Ebon.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Ebon woke up covered in sweat from head to toe, the third night this week he'd awoken from a strange dream with the woman who's face he can never see. The smell of coffee brought him to his feet and he walked into the kitchen of his two bedroom apartment. Standing in front of the refrigerator was his roommate Anthony dressed in sweatpants and a T-shirt, drinking Orange juice from the container. " I just drank the last of the juice bro so I made you coffee " said Anthony. "Thanks" said Ebon, " I need it to shake these cobwebs out of my head". "More bad dreams?", said Anthony, as Ebon poured a cup of coffee with no sugar or cream and took a sip. " Yeah, with the same lady, I could almost see her face this time " said Ebon. " Let's go to Waffle House and get something to eat, maybe you can meet your dream girl there " said Anthony as a smile played at the corner of his mouth. "Cool, just let me take a quick shower, I can't make a good impression if I'm all sweaty and disheveled" Ebon said as he brushed past Anthony lightly jabbing him in the side. Ebon showered quickly and changed into a pair of black jeans and a Nike shirt that said did I step in something or is that your game. "About time" said Anthony who was sitting on the couch playing Fallout New Vegas while waiting for Ebon. "I thought you were going to change your clothes" said Ebon a little disgusted that Anthony was still wearing the same clothes from yesterday. "Hey I'm not trying to impress anyone" said Anthony putting down the remote control. "You should be trying to impress me I'm the one who has to ride with you Stinky" said Ebon turning up his nose and fanning away imaginary fumes. Outside, Ebon opened the door of his 2013 black Chevrolet Corvette and got inside. Anthony sat down next to him and immediately began playing with the radio, he finally stopped on drunken love. " Ant, I refuse to ride with you listening to Beyonce all the way to the restaurant" said Ebon. " Why do you always hate on my choice of music? " said Anthony with a scowl. " Well maybe because you choose the most inopportune moments to play these lovey dovey songs. The last thing I want think about early in the morning is waking up in the kitchen with you thinking how the hell did this happen" said Ebon with an arched brow. " You're so stupid " said Anthony holding back a smile. A few minutes later they arrived at the waffle House just off of Peachtree Road in downtown Atlanta. They walked in and sat down in the corner booth towards the back of the restaurant. Ebon ordered a ham and cheese omelet with hash browns and toast. Anthony ordered scrambled eggs with grits and bacon, both had coffee. Ebon was looking out the window waiting for his food when he saw a silver Mercedes Benz pull up to the restaurant. Out of it stepped a beautiful woman in a all white business suit, she had light caramel colored skin and long midnight black hair drawn back into a ponytail. She walked in and stepped up to the counter with all the style and grace of a prowling leopard. "Hi, I called in a order for Dawn Windsor" she said to the cashier, the name flowing from her mouth and into Ebon's ears like a melody. "Hey,...hey!" said Anthony snapping his fingers in Ebon's face to get his attention, unintentionally drawing the attention of Dawn, who looked at Ebon and gave an amused smile. " Hey E, I think we talked her up, your dream girl has become a reality. " said Anthony gesturing towards Dawn. " She is gorgeous" said Ebon still in awe. " but what could I say to her in a waffle House? trying to talk to her in here would come across super lame." Ebon said sounding a bit defeated. The cashier brought Dawn out her food and she turned to walk out glancing over her shoulder at Ebon as she left. Ebon watched her walk to her car and open the door. As she sets her food down on the seat a man dressed in all black wearing what looked like a luchador mask came up behind her and grabbed her from the back. Ebon jumped to his feet and ran to help, little did he know Dawn wasn't the type of woman to wait around for someone to save her. She stomped her heels into the toe of the would be attacker, causing him to lose his balance, then she leaned forward and threw her head back smashing into the face of the assailant, which made him release his grip and clutch his wounded nose. By this time Ebon was barreling through the door and charging straight towards the attacker. Not slowing down he threw out his arm and blindsided the assailant with a running clothesline, causing him to flip sideways landing on his head and shoulder. Anthony was only two steps behind, he jumped down on the man and twisted his arms up behind his back immobilizing him. Then Ebon came with a sweeping uppercut landing just under the attacker's chin and knocking him unconscious. " Wait here I'll call the police." said Anthony as he released his grip on the man and went back into the restaurant. " Are you alright ma'am, did he hurt you?" Ebon said with concern. " No he just surprised me, if I had saw him coming he would have never touched me." said Dawn as she dusted her pants and straightened her jacket. " I believe you, if I had been a second or two later you would have had him calling for his Mama. " said Ebon with a smile. " I want to thank you all the same, my name is Dawn.