Chapter 4: Training Day

Dante had told Ebon to take some time to process all that he had witnessed and been told and to contact him in three days with his decision. It was the morning of the second day and Ebon was no closer to making his decision than the day before. He hadn't talked to or seen Dawn since the other day at the hunting grounds. He wanted to call her and talk to her about what happened, but she had asked him not to contact her until his decision had been made. He walked into the kitchen and saw that Ant was sitting on the couch watching TV. "What's going on bruh? You going to work today?" Anthony asked Ebon. "I guess so, I don't feel like it though. " Ebon replied. "You got some sick leave, you should use some. We could go kick it at the lake, fish or something." Ant said. "Nah maybe later. I may not have this job much longer, I'm thinking about taking another offer." Ebon said. "Hey man! You didn't tell me you had a job offer. How much more are they gonna pay you and where is it?" asked Anthony. "It's called Windsor International. Dawn's father is the owner, and as for how much it pays I'm not sure. Probably a lot considering what I'd be doing." "What would you be doing?" asked Anthony. Ebon thought about his answer not wanting to reveal to much until he had a better understanding himself. "Let's just say high end security work." "That sounds like some secret service James Bond kind of stuff. You should be jumping all over that offer, what's the hold up? Don't wanna work for your girl's old man?" "No that's not it I just want to find out a little more about the day to day activities." Ebon said as he realized he had no idea what he would be doing exactly. He couldn't exactly shoot fire from his hands as Dante had, and while he was never one to shy away from a fight, that had never included monsters or Fae or whatever it was he was supposed to be killing. But the thought that there were things like that in the world walking around doing God knows what, and the fact that he had been oblivious up until now made him want to find out more and maybe even do something about it. He decided he didn't need three days, he was going to call Dante.
...........................................................
A black lincon town car with tinted windows pulled up outside of Ebon and Ant's apartment. The driver got out and opened the rear door. Dawn stepped out wearing tight black jeans and a pink button-up shirt. She walked up to Ebon's door and rang the bell. Ant answered a few seconds later. "Well hello, if it isn't the Warrior Princess." Ant said jokingly. "It is nice to see you again Anthony. I don't think I ever had the chance to thank you personally for your assistance the other day." "Oh it ain't no thang. Always glad to help a lady and slap a sucka. Come on in, E's in the back. YO, E!" Ant called towards the back room. "Thank you." Dawn said as she entered the apartment. Ebon came out of his room in a tee shirt and sweats, and marveled at the site of Dawn before him. "Wow you look better and better every time I see you, what are you doing here?" "My father said that you accepted his offer and sent me to retrieve you." "Really? That was just three hours ago. He doesn't waste any time does he?" No i'm afraid not. Time waits for no man and eventually comes for us all, as he would say. Come now gather your things and let us be off." "Ok but where are we going how should I dress?" "Nothing fancy, just something you can move in." Dawn replied with a smile. Ebon threw on some jeans and a polo shirt, then headed out with Dawn. The driver took them south of the city towards Griffin. They pulled into a lot that held a large warehouse. The roller door opened and the car drove in. Ebon got out and held out his hand to help Dawn out. The ride over had been Ebon asking Dawn about the monsters and fae. And Dawn basically asking him to be patient and keep an open mind. In the center of the warehouse was a large octagon ring cage. Surrounded at four corners by large wrestling mats and workout equipment along the walls at either side. Ebon saw a man climbing a salmon ladder off to the side, and a couple of women racing to the top of a thirty foot rope wall. Dante came down out of an upstairs office. "Ebon, I am glad you were able to make your decision so swiftly. I also hope you did not make it lightly. For ours is a harsh reality that not many are accustomed for. Never the less today shall be the beginning of your training. You have shown that you can somewhat handle yourself but you have barely scratched the surface of your true potential. Come, I will introduce you to Taifu." Ebon and Dawn followed Dante to the rear of the warehouse where a small asian man sat on a rock in the middle of a sand garden. "Taifu this is Ebon, the young man I told you about." said Dante. "Ah yes, knight in shining armor. Brave is good, but brave without knowledge of self make brave and dead." said Taifu. Dawn chuckled quietly behind Ebon. "Show me chi" Taifu said to Ebon waving him over. Confused Ebon walked over to Taifu. "I don't know what you mean sir" said Ebon holding his hands out to his sides as if to say I don't have any. Taifu grabbed Ebons hands impatiently and closed his eyes. Ebon watched the old man who looked like he was trying to hear something. After a minute Taifu opened his eyes. "Ah good, you adept at two base form of chi, lightning and wind. But you sloppy, no control. Chi buzzing like flies on dog crap. Sit sit" said Taifu motioning for Ebon to sit in the sand. "I shall leave you to it then." said Dante. "Aye." said Taifu waving him off. " I'll see you later. " Dawn said to Ebon as she smiled and walked away with Dante. Taifu sat in front of Ebon. "Now, focus chi here." said Taifu putting a hand to his stomach. "Not everywhere like flies on crap." he said waving his hands around exaggeratedly. "Close eyes. Breath in through nose out through mouth. Think fire here." he said with his hand on his stomach. Ebon did as Taifu instructed. Concentrating on his breathing he imagined a fire inside his stomach. This carried on about twenty minutes. Then he actually began to feel warmth in his stomach. "Good good, now turn fire into sun." said Taifu. Ebon imagined the fire hotter and becoming the Sun. A few more minutes passed the heat in Ebon's belly growing hotter with each breath. "Good, now think hold the sun." said Taifu. Ebon brought his hands below his stomach and imagined himself holding the Sun burning in his stomach. "Good yes, now open eyes." Ebon opened his eyes to see a small blue orb about the size of a baseball slightly floating above his hands. It twitched and buzzed like static electricity. "Holy crap!" said Ebon as he stared wide eyed into his creation. Then the orb flashed out of existence. "Ah sloppy, no control." said Taifu disgustedly..