Chapter 3: The Clan

Ebon didn't really understand Dante's offer and as such, he didn't know how to respond. He didn't want to offend Dante, but in his mind Dante was either asking him to marry Dawn or was about to jump him into a gang. "I'm sorry sir, but what do you mean by join your clan?" "It's quite simple Ebon, what we have here is not just an organization, but a family. Not all by blood but most definitely by purpose. Tho I could tell you all that this entails, I feel it would be best to show you. Would you mind joining Dawn and I on a short trip? " said Dante as he stared at Ebon, awaiting his response. Ebon looked to Dawn for a sign that it was OK, but she would give him none. Leaving the decision entirely in his hands. " That would be fine sir. If you feel it would give me a better understanding. " said Ebon politely. "Excellent, then join me on the roof." said Dante as he gestured towards the elevator. Dawn, Ebon, and Dante all entered the elevator. " Good afternoon Mr Windsor " said a computerized voice as Dante stepped on the elevator." Rooftop. " Dante said simply as the doors shut and they began their ascent. Ebon's mind was swirling with wonder as he pondered what awaited him on the roof. He looked at Dawn and saw her smiling at him, and he couldn't help but smile back. The elevator stopped and the doors opened. They stepped out and Ebon was surprised to see a helicopter. "Come, let us depart", said Dante.  Ebon was shocked that the rooftop was not their final destination and he surely wasn't expecting a helicopter ride.  It was a fairly large helicopter with two bench seats and four doors, it could easily carry six people. There was a symbol on the side of the helicopter, the logo for Dante's company , it reminded Ebon of a trident. "Have you ever flown in a helicopter Ebon?"  said Dante as they entered and buckled in.  " No sir I haven't, but I bet it beats walking" said Ebon jokingly.  " Yes, I'm sure you'll find it most expedient." Dante said without a shred of emotion.  The chopper headed southeast away from the city. Within minutes there wasn't a building to be seen for miles, just trees as far as the eye could see.  " So why the trident?"  Ebon said to Dawn. "What trident?"  Dawn said. "The symbol on the outside of the helicopter."  Ebon clarified. "Oh, it's not a trident. It represents three people starting as one and then going forward in different directions, but because they are bonded their paths are destined to come together again."  Dawn said with a smile. "Wow, that's really deep. Now I feel kind of silly for calling it a trident." said Ebon. " It is not meant to be understood by outsiders. There are many things I hope to teach you." said Dante entering the conversation.  "We have arrived Mr Windsor." said the pilot as they flew into a clearing and landed. Dante, Ebon, and Dawn all exited, and the chopper took off and left them in the middle of the woods. "So what are we doing here? " said Ebon, a little confused. "Here I will show you what I could not explain and what you would not have believed unless you were to see with your own eyes." said Dante as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a pocket knife. He then cut his finger enough to cause a steady drip and with his blood he traced a symbol on the ground. Then he put his lips together and let out a whistle louder than Ebon knew was possible. Ebon looked to Dawn for confirmation that her father was loosing his mind, but Dawn just stood patiently watching her father. After about thirty seconds of what was uncomfortable silence for Ebon, the trees in the distance began to shake, and there was the thud of extremely heavy steps. Then out of the trees stepped a large two headed beast. It stood about fifteen feet tall, it was hairy with the head of a goat and the head of a snake. Ebon was frozen in disbelief. Dante held up his bloody hand and the creature focused it's attention on him, and let out a loud guttural growl then began to charge straight for him. Ebon grabbed Dawn by the hand and tried to pull her away, but she would not go. She held Ebons face and simply said "Trust my father". The beast was a hundred yards away and closing in fast. Ebon upon seeing that Dawn would not be moved, stood in front of her to protect her against the oncoming attack. Dante noticed this but said nothing, instead he stepped in front of them made a large circular motion with his arms brought his hands together and yelled. "SHOKEN!!" as he extended both  hands out towards the creature, a large brilliant blue light emanated from his palms and consumed the monster. Dante put his hands together as if to pray, then nodded in the direction of where the creature had been standing, which was nothing more than a smoldering pile of ash now.  Ebon was at a loss, he couldn't believe what he had just witnessed. He looked at Dawn who was holding his hand and smiling up at him as if they were just relaxing in the woods. "This can't be real." Ebon thought to himself. "Our company (Windsor International) deals in antiquities and collectibles, but that is just the face of what we truly do. We are Slayers, we hunt evil wherever it may be found. That creature you just saw was a mid level Fae called a chimera, and this area is our training grounds. " said Dante. Ebon was trying to take it all in, and Dawn could see he was at a loss for words." but there is more. There is a prophecy that predicts the coming of a great warrior. It is said he will usher in a new age for all of humanity. He will either be the tool of its salvation or.. Its destruction. " Dawn said to Ebon.