Chapter 9: What's done in the dark

Present day

Ebon leaned against the wall outside of Kris's room watching Dawn pace back and forth in front of the door.  "I cannot understand.  Why would he say such a thing?  We were there when Shade died, he did not kill her.  It is absurd."  Said Dawn, totally confused.  "Dawn, I know you're frustrated but you've gotta relax.  You're gonna wear a hole in the floor."  Said Ebon as he stepped in her path.  "It does not make any sense.  And to just walk away, without any explanation.  This is not right.  I must speak to him."  "Yes you should, but first you need to breathe."  Said Ebon, grabbing her arms gently and rubbing up and down.  Dawn took a deep breath.  "You are right.  I must gather myself.  Will you come with me?  I feel better when you are near."  "Of course baby, whatever you want."  Said Ebon as he held her hand and they began to walk upstairs to Dante's office in the compound.  Dante was sitting in a chair with his fingers interlaced, looking out into the night sky when Dawn and Ebon entered.  "Father, I need to speak with you." Said Dawn as she took a few steps closer to him.  "I knew that it would only be a matter of time."  Said Dante, not deigning to look in Dawn's direction.  "Why did you tell Kris that you killed Shade?" Asked Dawn.  "Because I did.  Maybe not directly, but I am the cause none the less."  "Father, I do not understand."  "There are things that I have done.  Things that I do not regret and would do again if needed.  I knew that I would one day have to tell you, but I expected it to be a happier occasion."  Said Dante.  "What things Father, what have you done?"  "Ever since you were born you were led to believe that your mother died during childbirth.  That was an untruth, in a sense.  Your mother was attacked and was on the brink of death.  In my anger and grief I channeled the darkness within me to place her in a state of suspended animation, but it came at a cost.  In order to maintain her life force a sacrifice is required.  The organization I was a part of, The ninth circle, did not agree with what I was doing.  The Elders said that I should let her go, but I could not, I would not.  She is my life, I see her every time I look into your eyes." Dante said as he turned and looked at Dawn.  "So I left The Circle and formed Windsor International, to hunt the evil that darkens our world.  The dark energy of these monsters sustain the state your mother is in, as I continue to search for an artifact with the power to heal her.  But over the years the presence of these monsters had began to dwindle and so I was forced to call on the powers of darkness once again, to cast an enchantment that would draw them to me. That is why there are so many within this forest. That is why the troll came and that is why Shade died."  The room was silent as Dante finished relieving his burdens.  Ebon was the first to speak.  "So...your mom's alive?"  Dawn just stood there, mouth agape looking at her father.  Ebon could see it coming.  The glint in her eyes the subtle trembling of her lips.  He went to hold her as she fell to her knees and began to weep.  "Why father?  Why would you allow me to believe my mother was dead my whole life?"  "You were a child.  You never truly knew your mother.  I did not want you suffer as I have these many years, knowing that while she is not dead, she is not truly alive."  "Where...where is she?  I want to see her.  I want to see her now.  Said Dawn, sadness and disbelief becoming anger.  "She is here, secured in the sub level.  Come I will take you to her"  Ebon held Dawn as they walked.  He was keeping his cool for her benefit, but inside his mind was racing.  He'd seen so much in the last few weeks.  At times he would get lost in his thoughts for several minutes and become oblivious to the world around him, but now was not the time.  Dawn needed him, and he would be there for her.  They entered the sub level and arrived at a room that was secured by a fingerprint and retinal scanner.  Dante went through the requirements and the metal door slid open with a woosh.  Inside there were several monitoring devices surrounding a large capsule with a clear glass cover.  Dawn and Ebon stepped up to the capsule and there inside was Talia, Dawn's mother.  She looked upon the mother she never knew. She was still beautiful, like a Angel frozen in time.  Blue LED lights on the interior of the capsule made Talia appear to glow.  "She looks as if she's sleeping." Dawn said to Ebon.  "Indeed, I see where you get your beauty from.  Ebon replied.  Dawn turned her attention to Dante.  "Father you must awaken her, you have to do something."  Said Dawn as she grabbed Dante's shirt and buried her head in his chest.  "I have people scouring the globe and have several leads on artifacts that may help.  But it will take time, we must be patient."  Dante said wrapping an arm around Dawn.  As Ebon watched Dawn interact with Dante he felt a strange sensation, a kind of pressure.  Pulling him, calling him towards the chamber that Talia was in.  Like the ch'i he felt when training with Taifu but different...darker.  Dante looked at Ebon.  "Come, let us go.  We have much to discuss, but I think we all could use some rest."

         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ebon took Dawn home around 11:00 that night.  As they walked to the front door he asked.  "Are you going to be alright, do you want me to stay?"  "I would love to have you here with me, and lay in your arms all night, but really I just need some time alone to think.  You should go home and get some rest.  I'm sure this day has been a bit much for you as well."  "Yeah but your happiness is more important to me than anything else.  So I'll respect your wishes."  He grabbed her in his arms and kissed her softly and slowly.  As he pulled away he said.  "Call me tomorrow ok?" "I will, I promise."  He watched her close the door as he walked backwards to his car.  As he was driving home his phone rang.  He pressed the answer button on his steering wheel and Dante's voice came through the speakers. "Are you alone Ebon?"  "Yes sir, I just dropped Dawn off at home."  "Good, I have something I need to discuss with you.  Meet me at Windsor Int in the morning.  I believe you may be the key to unlocking Talia's fate.