Heroism's cost

Dante's vehicle pulled up behind the overturned SUV that Dawn and her group had been driving.  He stepped out and saw Dawn a few feet from the vehicle seated on the ground holding her arm.  "Are you alright daughter?  Forgive my delay, we encountered a dark mage that had to be dealt with." "I'm fine father it's just my arm, it may be broken." "I see, we will transport you to the infirmary right away.  And what of your team?" "There in the distance, they were engaged in battle with a Troll, you must see to them father." Said Dawn with anguish on her face.  Dante looked out over the field and the signs of battle were clear.  Large unnatural holes in the earth, uprooted and broken trees, gashes in the grassy terrain.  "Call for medical transport back to the compound immediately."  Dante ordered his men as he walked out into the field.  He saw Ebon first some yards away,  standing near a large tree.  As he got closer he saw Kris on her knees and the body of a large troll several feet from them.  Although the beast seamed to be defeated something was wrong.  "Wake up Shade! Open your damn eyes!"  Said Kris as she continued the frantic chest compressions she was administering to the still body of Shade.  "Kris" said Ebon as he gently touched her shoulder.  "I think... She's gone" "Get your hands off of me!  She's not gone, she just needs help."  Said Kris as her emotions got the best of her and a tear rolled down her cheek. "Don't just stand there, do something!" Yelled Kris.  "Kristina!" Dante's voice boomed as he walked up to the scene.  "Gain control of your emotions girl.  You are a warrior and I expect you to behave as such." "But master... Shade is hurt, she needs help." "Shade is dead.  She died as a warrior and I will not allow you to dishonor her by shedding tears over her body on the battlefield."  Ebon cringed at the harshness of Dante's words to Kris, but he held his tongue.  The sound of an approaching helicopter drew Ebon's attention away from the conversation.  As the helicopter landed Kris wiped away her tears,
Lifted Shade's lifeless body in her arms and began to walk across the field.

         ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ebon parked his car and walked into Lobby of Hillandale hospital.  He had refused to leave Dawn's side for two days, but this morning as she woke and saw him sleeping in that uncomfortable chair, she insisted that he at least go home to shower.  After the incident when she was transferred to this facility, the doctors decided to keep her for observation due to the concussion she had sustained.  Her arm had been dislocated, hence she was made to wear a blue sling that she absolutely hated.  Ebon walked into her room bag in hand.  "I brought you a surprise" he said brandishing the bag.  "Thank you my love.  Is that lobster tail I smell?"  "It is indeed, and pasta with those cheese biscuits you like.  I thought you might be tired of hospital food." "I am tired of being here altogether.  I need to go home and get prepared for Shade's ceremony.  Also I would like to talk to Kris.  She must be in complete agony.  She and Shade were like sisters." Ebon held her hand as she spoke to offer the comfort that she needed, because even though she tried to hide it, he knew she was grieving to.  They ate together and talked.  Dawn sharing stories about Shade and their time together under the tutelage of Taifu and her Father.  A few hours later Dawn was released from the hospital.  Ebon drove her home to change and while she was there she attempted to call Kris, but there was no answer.  "Even if she were to answer I do not know what I would say.  I just feel as though I should say something." Said Dawn.  "Sometimes there isn't anything to say.  Sometimes people just need a shoulder to cry on, or a arm to hold them ya know?  Just be there for her whatever she needs." Said Ebon.  Dawn sat down on the arm of the chair next to Ebon, leaned towards him and kissed him slowly and passionately.  Ebon carefully embraced her and returned her passion with that of his own.  The seconds turned to minutes and the minutes turned to hours, as they expressed there love for one another in the only way they could. 

At 8:30pm Dante began the home going ritual.  There were about 50 people in attendance, all dressed in ceremonial garb.  The ceremony was being held in a large underground catacomb.  Shade's body lay atop a stone platform in the center of the room.  Dante took up a position at the head of the platform.  Taifu stood to the south, and two other women took positions on the east and west.  Ebon and Dawn had been looking for Kris but hadn't seen her as of yet.  "A warrior does not fight for recognition." Said Dante. "A warrior does not fight for praise." Said Taifu.  "A warrior fights to protect their home." Said the woman to the east.  "A warrior fights to protect their family." Said the woman to the west.  "Shade Calenza was and is family." Dante began.  "She was a warrior that I would trust with my life, and have.  I found Shade on the streets of Brazil. A child stealing food from street vendors.  She was quick and decisive, cautious.  I observed her for two days pilfering never to be caught.  I stopped her in the act one day and asked her of her parents.  She told me they had been taken away and executed and that she didn't know why.  That day I told her she would never have to steal again, and she would never hunger.  I trained her to be a warrior, but I raised her as a daughter.  They say that a parent should never know the pain of burying their children, sadly it is a pain I know all too well.  With that pain comes conviction.  To do everything in my power to never let such a fate happen again.  In this I have failed.  Forgive me daughter, for not being there in your time of need.  Rest well with your brothers and sisters, until we meet in paradise."  Kris walked in and stood at back of the room a hard look in her eyes, no more tears no more emotion.  Dante and the circle began to chant and a bright light began to glow in their hands.  They directed it towards Shade's body and the light engulfed her.  After several minutes the chanting stopped.  The light dissipated and Shade's body was gone.