Chapter 4 - Money

Shi hastily made her way through the forest and back to the village carrying with her the small pouch that was filled with around three slime cores.

Upon reaching the guildhall, she stopped in front of the door once more, this time, however, she wasn't nervous because of her thoughts but rather she was excited to see how much money she would make from these cores, without a second more of waiting she slowly opened the door and entered, walking up to the reception desk and placing the bag of cores on it, she eagerly motioned to call over the receptionist who was trying to sort out some paperwork.

When the receptionist finally noticed her, she put all her papers aside probably to deal with after, and she made her way over to her standing on the opposite side of the counter.

Once she was closer, Shi could finally get a good look at her, Shi noticed she was actually quite beautiful, she had long, orangish/reddish hair that was just barely past her shoulders, a pair of bright, orange eyes followed by a kind smile, and that was just what Shi could see from her side of the reception desk.

With a snap of the finger from the receptionist, Shi snapped out of her daze and quickly went on to say what she originally came to say.

"I completed the "Slime Killing" quest so I came to claim my reward!" She said in an excited voice, while trying to not sound overly excited and childish.

"May I please see some form of proof?" She asked as all normal receptionists would, her voice soft and calm.

"Oh yes!" She seemingly had forgotten about the cores with all her excitement but quickly remembered. "Here you go." She said placing the bag of slime cores on the table along with the request paper.

The receptionist opened the bag and check through the cores to make sure it was the requested amount. After a while of counting, she took the bag to the back area of the guild, which is probably a storage room, and she returned with a small bag.

"Here is your payment, 10 Copper coins." She said that while placing the bag in Shi's hand.

Shi was slightly disappointed she didn't get more, she knew she wouldn't be able to get much with a quest of this level, but she could only hope for something more since she risked her little life.

Copper wasn't much, it was the lowest coin in the currency as far as Shi was aware. She knew of 3 coins that her mother thought her about. Copper, which she had just gotten, also being the lowest, followed by silver, something she had only seen once from her mother. Gold was the highest currency she knew, but she had never seen it before, her mother told her it was mainly used by nobles or merchants.

Well, she wasn't too disappointed, copper was all commoners needed to make a living, 1 silver, which was 100 copper, could last a commoner an entire year, so 10 would probably last her a few months if stretched,

Shi took the money, putting it into her pocket quickly so she doesn't lose it or worse some scum sees her and decides to steal it. She thanked the worker with a smile, nodding as she made her exit from the guild.

She was originally planning to head over to the market zone in order to find a reasonable price weapon but she notices the sun was starting to set, she changed her plans and decided to head home for dinner, before her mother gets worried.

She reached her house and even from the doorstep Shi can smell the delicious cooking of her mother. She stopped at the door, using her hand to pat her clothing, trying to hide the dirt that decorated her clothing, so as to not get caught going to the woods again.

"I'm home!" She said making her way to her room firstly to place her money down, she didn't want her mother to know she started doing quests for the guild in order to get money because she would start to worry.

She came back out of the room quickly, walking into the living room to eat, her house was small so there weren't enough rooms to separate into a dining room and living room so instead they just made them one.

Her mother came out with the food in her hands. resting it on the table they ate at, before sitting down on a side of her own. It was their usual meal, a bowl of vegetable soup, not that Shi would change that for anything, after all, it was no simple vegetable soup, it smelt so delicious her mouth started to water, so without a second delay, she blew the soup so it's not too hot and started to eat it as if someone was going to take it from her.

She finished her food quickly and carried the bowl to the sink, there wasn't much talking at the table, mainly because her mother was very tired, so she didn't bother starting a conversation.

After washing it and putting it back where it belongs she made her way back to her room. She entered and closed the door behind her making sure to lock it so her mother doesn't unexpectedly walk in and see the money, at least until he can make up a reason for it.

She walked over to the bag of money and picked it up walking over to her bed that was located near a closed window, noticing the sun vanishing from the sky as she did. The setting sun made her whole room look reddish yellow with a very calm feel to it, she lay on the bed counting through her coins but in her head thinking about what to do next.