Ninth

The old and dusty room was filled with a moment of pure silence until the old woman roared a laugh.

"No... Grandma—" Justin stammered, taking few steps nearer but the woman hissed at him angrily, sticking out her snake-like tongue.

They gasped altogether at the sight of the transforming monster before them. The old woman's wrinkly face stretched up to form a younger version of a woman, eyes turning apple green and pupils forming into an elliptical form.

Still throwing off a high-pitched laugh, the woman's white hair then slowly turned to black as it grew longer till her waistline, her feet transforming into a snake's tail, its scales glowing in green.

"Serpina." Salve spoke through Cherub's thought. "She's Serpina, a half-human and half-serpent, servant of the King of the Underworld."

"G-grandma... where is she? What did you do to her?" Justin yelled furiously at the monster with his eyes glowing in light brown.

Serpina cackled, showing off her pair of sharp fangs. "Your evil killed her, honey." She mocked, turning around to face the window. And in just a swish, she slithered down.

They took no time on chasing her as Justin jumped off the window using his wings to dive into the wind like it wasn't his first time.

Christian followed, but realizing he has left someone, he flew back, facing his back on the window so Cherub could hop on.

"Hold tight." Christian reminded her as she slung her arms on his shoulders and locked it against his chest. "Geez, Justin just got his wings but he's flying like he has it since birth."

"It's because his roots have already grown into wings, so the bearer will automatically possess its powers and abilities. And as the Angel of Terra Firma, he's the best when it comes to agility, next to the Angel of Scintillation. But in terms of strength, he's the first." Salve explained through their thoughts and they both nodded.

Christian and Justin stayed on the air whilst Serpina slithered smoothly on the ground, fitting herself through the narrow spaces of the gates and escape to the nearby forest. Justin kept an eye on her as she disappeared on the thick trees. He dove lower through the forest, casually tilting his body from side to side to avoid the trees.

Meanwhile, Christian and Cherub stayed above, keeping their eyes at how the leaves and trees sway due to the wind produced by Justin's flight. Noticing a sudden halt of the wind, Christian then decided to fly down, seeing Justin standing on the ground, his wings folded, and face exasperated.

"Justin... What happened?" Christian asked whilst he knelt on his one knee, so Cherub could hop off his back.

"I lost her." He spoke in clenched jaw.

The night was still deep, and the cool breeze of the wind made a soothing melody as it blew the leaves, contrasting to the mood that the eerie forest was giving.

"Guys." Cherub spoke breathy whilst her eyes wandered around before it met the angels' orbs. "I think it's a trap."

Justin furrowed his eyebrows but Christian gasped, turning to his fellow angel.

"That monster's a half-serpent so basically, the forest is her home. She took us here on purpose because fighting here will be a big advantage for her." He stated with Cherub behind him, carefully sensing her surroundings.

Justin hissed and smiled cockily. "Too bad. She forgot that I'm the Angel of Terra Firma. In other words, the earth is with me."

"AHHH!"

The angels turned to Cherub's direction in surprise when they heard her scream loudly.

"Cherub!" Christian screamed in horror, seeing their summoner being squished as Serpina's tail churned around her small body.