6: Purple Eyes and Hazel Eyes

I felt like pure energy gliding across a black sky

I felt like pure energy gliding across a black sky. A strong wind pelted my hair, ruffled my clothes, and thrusted me into a confused tornado where up and down evaded all meaning. My world became paler as the bright colors of my coat cascaded off into the darkness like a rainbow sinking into gray clouds. I screamed and screamed until my screams too were lost.

Despite not knowing how far I had gone, the distance between home and wherever here existed crafted an incredible, unmeasurable separation deep within my mind. Instead I imagined I was stuck somewhere between the tenseness of a roller coaster ride and the blissful whirl of a merry-go-round. Yet this carnival attraction had no buckle to hold me in place, no man at the controls to stop and let me off, and no knowing how long my ride would last.

Suddenly I burst through a thin paper-like wall, and the world stopped spinning. For a moment I dangled in the darkness, a limp doll hovering over an ethereal abyss. Then a surge of fear gripped my stomach and head first I plunged into a vast ocean. I needed to breathe; my lungs strained to hold on. My thoughts wandered to my family, to my home, to the pain in my chest. Was this what drowning felt like? And as my body writhed for air and the idea of death became more of a reality, my head broke the surface and emerged on the edge of forgien sky. Only one small star twinkled above.

I coughed and inhaled the sweet air. My eyes opened wide. My limbs filled with life flapped about in search of land.

"Hello!" I cried while spitting water out my mouth. Nothing. "Hello," I cried again. "Anyone there? I need help!"

The star above shook then fell, bouncing playfully off invisible walls and ledges before rudely whizzing by my face and piercing my eye. I jerked in alarm, grabbing instinctively at the pain. It dug like a sharp knife. My eye throbbed and watered. Then as quick as it came, the pain ceased. I blinked. The sky was empty.

"What is happening to me," I whispered. "What is this place?"

All of a sudden a loud horn blared and the entire dark sky around me burst with an image of a stone laid corridor lit by individual flickering torches. At the end of the corridor the silhouette of a young man flashed into view. Whoever this boy was, he was running at top speed. In a final unnerving jolt, my body flug upward and into this corridor.

Charging with full force, I collided with this young man. Both of us slammed to the straw-covered stone floor. Our shocked and confused faces met; our lips only a few inches apart. I pushed away apologizing, my clothes drenched.

"I'm so so sorry," I said, reaching out to help the boy rise to his feet. From what I could see, he looked not much older than I, perhaps even the same age and dressed like he had just left a renaissance fair. "Let me help you up. I didn't mean t—" I adjusted my glasses and halted. I recognized the boy's face. "Oh my God, it's you!" I pointed and shouted again. "It's you! The boy in the mirror. Your hazel eyes. I..I..I've been seeing your face for so many years! Who are you?" I cried out excitedly. "And where am I? How did I get here? Am I dead?"