33: Self Reflection in the Desert

Owen and I traveled into the night neither stopping to rest nor pausing to speak. We wanted to get as far away from the Portly Brother's caravan as we possibly could before dawn. I felt too often the sense of betrayal invade my mind. Owen was right. No one in Tartarus could be trusted, and as I thought of it more, perhaps even he could suddenly turn on me, leave me alone in this strange new world.

We headed East along the sandy desert's edge, staying more so on the hard cracked soil than tempt fate on dunes. At least here the seldom tuft of dry grass proved that life still had a chance.

The night was surprisingly cool. I had read many books about people being lost in deserts, sometimes dying from heat stroke during the day and freezing to death at night. I never believed I would ever see such a landscape in person or worst yet be lost in one. Guess there was a first for everything.

The vast blanket of stars twirled over our heads. The jutted monuments of stone broke up the black horizon creating the illusion of people standing in the darkness. When we felt far enough away from the Portly Brother's caravan, Owen broke the silence.

"So I think it is time we talked."

"About what?" I asked.

"About how we got here?"

"Oh." I looked down shamefully. "Well after I drained you of all your energy, I kinda scryed us here using the pond as a second mirror."

"You scryed out of distress and with no destination in mind, did you?"

"Yes," I said. "But we would have been captured by the Shadows. I did what I had to, to save us. I had no choice."

"It's not like it matters anymore. What's done is done. We are lost again. Yet this time we have no guide and no bearings. Just the knowledge of a town to the East. There is a reason why no one travels this way." Owen kicked a clump of dirt angrily into the air. "People oftentimes die or go missing in this part of Tartarus."

"So that's it," I shrugged. "You just wanted to scold me? That's all I am to you, isn't it? Just some dumb silly girl from another world who knows nothing and can't make decisions on her own. Seems there are bullies everywhere I go. A thank you would have been nice."

Owen looked over his shoulder.

"A thank you would mean very little now that you have demanded it." Owen turned away. "I was the one who saved you from those slave trading pigs, and I was the one who got you away when the Shadows snatched you up. And did I ask for a thank you?" My face flushed with rage.

"Typical boys. Quick to seek praise and slow to give gratitude. If I had not acted we would both be in the hands of the Half-Lives. Not to mention, I took care of you when you passed out. It was my magic that saved us." Owen stopped, threw his hands up in the air, and turned around again.

"You're magic has been nothing but trouble."

"My troublesome magic saved you from Desire? Or have you forgotten the trouble you put yourself in before I came into the picture?"

"You!" Owen shook a stiff finger at me as he struggled to find the right words. "You...this...ugh...fine! Thank you! Geez, girl. Happy now?"

I stopped walking. My bottom lip curled with anger.

"You know what, Owen," I muttered. "You suck. And if it weren't for this soul connection thing, I wouldn't be following you right now. But I have an obligation to uphold. I'm going to Vetra to speak to the council. I'm going to find a way home. And if I didn't need your knowledge of this world, I would leave you right here in this desert. Whatever secrets or anger you are holding inside, I want none of it. I don't have to trust you to get what I want. In fact, you need me to get what you want. What are you hoping to gain from traveling with me? Fame, fortune? You're not doing this for an adventure like you said? This is something else. I bet it's related to whatever you stole from Desire."