38: Golden Plates and Silver Dresses

Vanessa and I marched passed the foyer and into another hallway of mirrors. I glanced into every one as we passed hoping one of them would be like the tailor said and show no reflection. I found none.

The clopping of Vanessa's heels broke across on the marble floor. Her giddy nature had returned with full force probably since Lord Blackwell was scheduled to arrive at any moment. Having not seen the man, I wondered just what sort of flare he possessed that made a girl like Vanessa admire him so.

We soon came to a large set of glass doors with golden handles in the shape of giant roses. Two men in white suits and top hats stood by ready to open them. They bowed at the waist and raised their arms in a welcoming gesture.

"Lady Vanessa," they chimed together. "Mirrorbender Hope."

"Thank you?" I said not sure what to do.

"Don't address them," snapped Vanessa lifting up her chin and shoving the men away. "They are beneath you, now." She sucked in a lung full of air, pumping up her chest. "You must show the world who you are. Poise, elegance, and perfection. These are the values of a true high class woman. Never associate yourself with the working ramble. Chin up, chest out, men like Lord Blackwell accustomed to opulence will expect nothing less. Now onward." We looked like two princesses galavanting into high court totally bathed in vain affluence. For a split second as I twirled in my dress and puffed up my chest, I believed I was someone else and all my worries were gone. Tripping over my heels and nearly falling on my face was enough to remind me of who I was and that to be a lady of class I had a long way to go. We entered arm and arm into a dark empty room. I turned to Vanessa curiously.

"Uh, Vanessa," I said. "There is nothing here. No table, or chairs. I thought we were going to have dinner."

"Don't be silly. It is full of light and the table is right over there. Do you not see it?"

I squinted my eyes and looked again. All I saw was a dark emptiness.

"I still don't see anything," I replied cautiously. Vanessa sighed.

"It is because you are wearing those horrid glasses." Vanessa reached for the glasses on my face.

"No I need these to see," I said holding them tight.

"Nonsense," said Vanessa. "They are the things holding you back from seeing the true beauty of this place." I moved away. Vanessa placed her hand on her chest and gave me puppy dog eyes. "Awe, sister. Do you not trust me?"

I paused wondering if removing my glasses was a wise decision. Vanessa had made many attempts this evening to snatch them off my face. I recalled the time in my room when my glasses had found themselves on the side of the bed. Perhaps this was all part of Beatrice's plan to take my memories. Perhaps I was being lured into a trap. I wished Owen was here to guide me, warn me, but it was already too late. Before I could make a decision, I found my hand acting against my will. Like blinking into reality from a daydream the room burst with light as the glasses left my eyes.

I gasped at the room's astonishing size and grandeur. Where there had been nothing moments earlier massive white stone pillars and arches encircled the round room. Long golden banners fell from the archways and puddled on the floor. Each one contained thousands of flower designs stitched with silver thread. Light cascaded from the large glass dome ceiling. I knew it to be late in the evening, so the appearance of a brightening sky took me by surprise, but the thing that surprised me the most of all the splendor and glory of the room was that I could see it clearly without my glasses. Vanessa lead me further into the room; her gentle hand guided me to a table in the center surrounded by silver chairs.