31: Grunts and Squeals

I awoke the next morning to the sound of voices coming from outside the carriage. At first I believed these voices to be the Jolly Hollyhocks making conversation, but my lighthearted assumption became removed when the voices spoke an odd language, one I had never heard before. In the harsh grunts and snarling squeals I became petrified with fear. Whatever creatures they were, I could make out two distinct voices; each growing steadily closer. Glancing next to me, I spied Owen. I prayed he was awake and alert and ready to handle the situation, but Owen still passed out from the night before reacted with nothing more than a large drop of drool upon his shirt.

"Grunt, grral, squeeeeal," came the pair of voices. I felt a tap on the carriage as though the creatures outside were checking to see if anyone was inside. "Gruel, squeew." They were sure to find Owen and I any minute. I had to react fast. Hearing another curious tap, I returned the noise with a loud bang of my foot. The creatures squealed in fright.

"Is some beasty in there?" grunted one rough sounding voice.

"Chu are surrounded! We want this carriage! So come out slowly with y'ur front legs up, and we won't hurt cha."