42: An Army of Empty Dresses

Zeno appeared at the top of the stairs overlooking the foyer. In his arms he held a bundle of Vanity's gowns. Sweat was dripping down his forehead. Owen met him half way and took the clothes from him.

"Thank you, Owen," said Zeno sitting down on the stairs exhausted. "That should be the last of them. Woo! I knew I made a lot of dresses over the years, but I lost count. What is that, a hundred and eight now?"

"Something like that," said Owen as he placed the dresses behind the window curtains. "If this works then we might just be able to hold Vanity off long enough for Hope to find that mirror."

"You think it's possible?" asked Zeno. "Will we succeed?"

"We have no choice but to try. I mean we are following the instructions of a cat."

"I see her!" cried Stan. The Portly Brothers were taking turns peering out of the crack in the door. "Vanity be coming up the garden. She be bringing all the Shadows with her."

"Let me see," said Bran pushing his brother out of the way. "She looks horrifying. And angry. Never seen her this mad. No."

"Places, everyone!" cried Owen. "You remember what Hijinx said. We need to stall her for as long as we can until Hope gets back with that mirror."

"Here she comes!" cried Bran. Owen and Zeno hid behind the stairs while the Portly Brothers remained by the door. The mansion grew quiet and still. One could hear the faint tapping of Vanity's heels outside as she stepped along the stone pathway. The Portly Brothers moved away from the door.

Outside, Vanity climbed up the mansion's steps. Her Shadows crept up behind her. A dreaded anticipation filled the misty air. She knocked on the door. Its pounding sound echoed down the halls.

"Who is it?" squeaked Bran's little voice from behind the door.

"Who comes to our home uninvited, yes?" squeaked Stan's little voice. "No peddlers, please. No sprites. No, nothin', no." The two pigs giggled. Vanity knocked again.

"Little pigs, little pigs, let me come in."

"No!," they cried together.

"Not by the hair on my head," said Bran.

"And my wee little chin," added Stan. The two pigs giggled once more. They were playing with her, and Vanity knew it. She pushed on the doors, but the spell blocking her entrance pushed back in greater force.

"I demand entry to my home, swine."

"Chu no live here anymore, lady," said Bran.

"Ooo! We should sing her our new song, yes," said Stan.

"Oh please no singing," said Vanity. But it was already too late.

There be once a hungry anteater,

His belly bare and blank,

He had only gone a meter,

When he came across a riverbank.

His nose did perk to a smell,

Something scrumptious to eat his fill,

For there across the river did dwell,

The land's largest ant hill.

It be the biggest in all the world.

'I must have it,' he said hesitant to swim.