20: The Rule of Kings

"Long after the gods disappeared and their stories became myths, a strange visitor appeared in Tartarus. Before that time talk of a world beyond the glass was simply legend; a mystical fantasy where dreams came from and the holy leaders denied. Soon Tartarus would discover a new magic, one that would rock the foundations of the world, change how people lived and worshiped, and teach stubborn scholars that even ancient myths hold a little bit of truth. This is the tale of the first Mirrorbender.

It began one fine day when the Princess of Vetra, Princess Claudine, arrived at her favorite pond in the castle gardens. Like any other day, she was happily humming her favorite song and braiding her silver hair.

'Hello, little fish,' giggled the young princess. The fish snapped the water's surface at the sound of her voice. 'It is feeding time.' Claudine scattered bread crumbs across the water. The fish eagerly chomped on the food. When the ripples had settled and the fish heavy with food sank into the dark water, Claudine noticed a strange aura envelop the pond. This soft white glow almost invisible in the bright sun formed around her reflection until suddenly it changed. An oddly dressed man and a foreign sky reflected back through the water. The princess stared into the man's beautiful blue eyes. A feeling of unimaginable longing betwixt her senses. She had never seen a man so radiant in all her life. Curious, she reached out a finger. The man did the same, and as they touched, a violent surge swelled across the pond sending water and fish flying into the air. Alerted guards readied an attack, a formation of lances, arrows, and swords encircled the water.

'My Princess, are you harmed?'

The wet princess laughed and smiled. A fish flopped on her lap.

'Only my heart aches, dear soldier. It bleeds with agony for never have I felt such painful bliss. My heart has been struck by the arrow of love.'

From that day forth, Princess Claudine came to the pond praying she would see the handsome man again; a daily routine that began to consume the princess's lessons and duties.

The castle's court grew more concerned with each passing day as the princess fell deeper into silence and sadness. Her beautiful singing that once filled the castle with joy, now sung a forgotten echo of longing and desire. Even the fish who once wrestled on the surface for food began to die from neglect; their white bellies filling the pond. The willow branches and lush wildflowers of the garden became the sight of a frostbitten wasteland with no snow. Rotten leaves fell around her with every whistling breeze. She left only to sleep and eat, but no matter how hard the king or court tried to pull her away an inescapable force pulled her back to the water's edge.

A year went by and the king worried that his daughter had gone mad demanded a solution. The order came for the pond's immediate removal, no water, no reflection, no more trouble. The king would finally break the spell that had ensnared his daughter.

Of course there was opposition. Upset by the news, Princess Claudine rushed to the water pushing away the guards that attempted to dig away at the pond's muddy banks.

'Man in the water,' she pleaded leaning over the edge, 'please come to me! They want to take you away! I need you!'

In the eyes of all those present, noble and servant alike, a bright light filled the pond. The Princess's reflection turned into that of a young man. Color of every shade and hue burst from the water. Some court officials were driven wild in fear while others stood motionless in shock. The Princess reached into the water and pulled with all her might.

First a hand, then an arm emerged until an entire man had exited the pond. The man was dressed in unusual clothes, and on his head a forest of thick black hair. In haste he was brought to an audience with the king and the advisory council.