RED CONVERTABLE

[October 30th, 1990]

Jasey tossed and turned around in her bed, the only thing remaining on her mind was the hours to come

Jasey tossed and turned around in her bed, the only thing remaining on her mind was the hours to come. That stupid house. Stupid Jack. Stupid Rian for not getting her out of this. Stupid younger Jasey for stealing Rian away from Jack every past Halloween. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Jasey pulled her pillow out from under her head and shoved over her face. She screamed.

It was 4:30 am and she was desperately trying to sleep. She had on nothing but an old shirt that she had once stolen from Rian yet still, she was sweating like it was mid-August. The water bottle on the nightstand next to her was starting to creep her out almost as much as the thought of the creepy house she was going to be breaking into in a mere few hours. She regretted ever agreeing to this in the first place.

Jack somehow convinced Alex and Rian that she wasn't nervous at all and just stressed about school. Inevitably they agreed to his plan after all. Jasey, who was obviously mortified of the near future, felt as though dying with her friends would be a whole hell of a lot worse than just staying home with her dad watching poorly-filmed vampire "horror" films. She could still remember vividly how she and her two boys would do that every single year. Until middle school. That was when things changed, but Jasey would've never guessed that this would be how her junior year of high school would turn out. Just four years ago was her very first Halloween without being home with her dad, and now look at her. Maybe she could just fake sick.

But then she'd just be back to square one and weak.

Her hair flowed behind her on the pillow. Her room was pitch black. She hated it, she wanted the lights on now, but her goal was to obtain at least an hour of shut eye and she was too light a sleeper to do so with the lights on. So her room was pitch black and smelt like a swirl of vanilla and Rian's cologne. She loved the smell. Jasey was grateful that they were hanging out earlier because otherwise, her room would just smell like her dinner.

By dinner, I mean a pizza that she ordered in the hopes of using it to hold Rian in the house with her against his will until the next day, but he left before the delivery boy even managed to shove his keys into the ignition of his car.

Now she was alone and very close to crying herself to sleep.

Jasey pushed the pillow of her face and put her hands in the air above her. She closed her eyes and imagined her back being pressed up against the cold, hard ground of Rian's backyard. She remembered how they used to lay on the grass and stare up at the stars. How it used to tickle her neck and make her arms itch. They used to try and count the stars as little kids do with sheep trying to falling asleep.