LIPS

[October 31st, 1990]

When the house was first being built, a husband's wife wanted a place where she could watch the sunset every night

When the house was first being built, a husband's wife wanted a place where she could watch the sunset every night. She was an artist with an amazing mind. One of the things that she drew inspiration from the most was the sky. With that being said, she wanted to be able to maximize her inspiration. So, obviously, there was a way to actually get onto the roof. Above the biggest rooms in the house, there was a hatch and a very narrow, very dangerous spiral staircase leading to a huge, flat part of the roof, overlooking the huge backyard and the town below.

Alex clutched Jasey Rae's right hand and pulled her up onto the roof. Dead leaves and garbage were littered all over the entire thing.

Alex licked his lips.

"I-I-It's co-cold," Jasey said at the sky. It was now a swirl of a dark navy and black as opposed to the colorful one before. It was way too cloudy for stars but way too eerie for Jasey to even notice the lack thereof. She tugged on the left strap of her backpack. Alex pulled her closer. She felt her heart speed up. She decided it was just the fear that she was still holding due to the circumstances and nothing more.

"Do you want my jacket?" Alex began to pull his hand away, but Jasey had stopped him. He sighed. Alex really wanted her to take her jacket.

"A-Alex."

"Jasey." He smiled at her, but something felt wrong.

"D-Do you... I-I-I mean... M-maybe...." Jasey couldn't even form a full word. She took a deep breath. "N-Never mind." She could feel her chest start to get heavy and a frog start to form in her throat.

"Hey," Jasey looked down at her feet. "What's wrong? Tell me." Alex pried as he moved closer to her. He felt the tip of his nose grow cold and wondered if Jasey Rae felt it too.

"N-No." She tried to peel her hand away from his but now he was the one holding on too tight. She looked behind her, pretending to look up at the sky, anything to avoid those big, beautiful brown eyes... But she already had the entire surrounding scene etched into her mind. There was no point in looking to the sky. But there was a point in avoiding eye contact. Jasey Rae looked into the backyard. Uncharted territory. Alex shook his head. He was starting to feel the cold nip at his whole face now.

The boy sat down, still refusing to unleash his death-grip on the girl's hand.

"Sit." He ordered, but it wasn't with a harsh tone. He was still all smiley and happy. That confused Jasey a lot, but she sat down beside him anyway. He was harmless, after all. She pulled her one free arm inside her sweatshirt. Alex actually contemplated letting go of her hand to let her do the same with this one, but instead, he wrapped his other hand around both his and hers. "How's life, Jasey Rae?" He wanted to ask something deeper, but that's what came out. He figured it was a good place to start for now unlike some scary question that might cause her to shoot any other semblance of conversation down.