FLASHLIGHTS

[October 31st, 1990]

"Flashlights," Jack pointed

"Flashlights," Jack pointed. All 4 of the boys were crowding around the trunk of the car while Jasey sat on the ground behind Alex, leaning gently on the backs of his legs and making a small pile of the glass and gravel around her. "There's water in there, candy in there, a camera somewhere in here, I think you guys put your sweatshirts in that one..."

He continued on as Jasey tuned him out, now crunching leaves with her palm. Anything to distract herself. Whatever was in those duffle bags, she simply couldn't care less. She was too scared and tired to even keep herself standing up, let alone care. She just wanted to tune him out.

The breeze blew past them along with whispers of people living in the nearby houses. None of them particularly cared that a group of 16 and 17-year-olds was sneaking into the old house; they were all too high to care. The few of them that weren't just found the sight extremely laughable actually.

Jasey didn't even know whose legs she was leaning on. She actually thought they were Rian's. If she knew they were, in fact, Alex's, she probably wouldn't have stayed in her spot to being with. She probably would've mustered up the courage to keep herself a foot.

But Alex knew she was there. And he liked the feeling of her small back leaning gently against him. He too was tuning Jack out in order to focus on the feeling of their bodies pressed together for one of the first times. He liked it.

Jack slammed the trunk shut and the girl jumped up into the air. All the boys looked down. She felt her face grow hot and she assumed it was now deeply red. She felt dizzy.

"You good?" Zack asked, holding out a hand to help her up.

"Y-yea." She grabbed at his hand. Zack pulled the girl up off the concrete with the slightest of ease and a bright smile. Jasey dusted herself off and bent her legs.

"Okay, good." He answered back. He was going to add more to try and comfort her, but Jack let out a huff of annoyance. Apparently he was completely against anything and everything that didn't have to do with his house. He was just one impatient little guy.

"Ladies, we gotta go. Jase, come or stay in the car." Jack's tone was clearly that of an annoyed teenage boy. Rian shook his head.

Jasey Rae bounced closer to the boys. Her feet felt heavy. Her hands were shaking. Her heart was in her gut and her stomach was in knots. Was she seriously doing this?

"D-don't, Jack!" She yelled. She wrapped her hands around the boy's waist and tightly squeezed him. "I-I-It's s-scary."