Mortem

Dean sat next to Sam, again, for what felt like the hundredth time in a row this week with a new book slamming on the table.

"I swear to God, if I have to read one more goddamned book I'm going to skin myself" he grumbled just loud enough for Sam to hear. "Also doesn't help that Lucifer 2.0 is always looking over our shoulders." He stole a look at Alyssa who stood looking over a case full of books, twirling a piece of her hair between her fingers.

"What are we going to do? We've never faced anything with this kind of power before, we're only alive because she finds us useful. What happens when we're..... useless?" Sam replied, looking up from his book. They exchanged a telling stare before footsteps made them break eye contact.

Cass set down a bag of food on the table along with a six pack. Dean snatched the bag and dug through it, grabbing a burger and tossing another one to Sam. Jack reached over from the other side of the table to grab his. Cass looked expectantly at Alyssa who still had her back to them.

The day drug on slowly, one second felt like an eternity. Every couple of minutes Dean would pick up his head to locate Alyssa then continue reading.

Another few hours pass and the clanging of the clock, as it struck midnight, echoed throughout the bunker. Dean groaned and slammed the book he was reading shut. He gripped his head in his hands, rubbing his face.

"Well, I'm gonna hit the hay. Another riveting day of reading ahead of me tomorrow" he said sarcastically, getting up from the table and retreating to his room. Jack quickly followed him and Sam a bit later, leaving Castiel and Alyssa alone in the library.

"So, what have you been doing all these years...... Mortem?" Castiel said grimly turning to face towards her.

Alyssa sighed loudly and looked at him, "Been living an honest life, more than you can say." She said with an edge to her voice, setting the book she had in her hands down. "Alyssa Stone, lives in Gig Harbor Washington, receptionist by day, and a delivery boy by night. An honest soul just trying to get by in this 'dog eat dog' world eh?"

Castiel gave her a stern face, Alyssa just smirked back.

"I heard what you said to them. You threatened them," Cass stalked towards her, his jaw clenched. "And if you want to get to them, you'll have to go through me." He growled, letting his angel blade fall into his hand. Alyssa glanced down at his hand then back up to his face.

Alyssa scoffed lightly, "Is that a threat or a promise?" Castiel didn't reply he kept Alyssa fixed in his stare. "Are you going to kiss me?" She chuckled.

"You may be a freak of nature but you're not immortal." Castiel's gravely voice made Alyssa flinch. Her expression softened as she darted her eyes away from Castiel.

"I'm surprised you've even heard of me Cass, I remember when you first shadowed the Earth with your wings. By that time I was nothing more than whispers in the wind, a bedtime story to scare kids." She held his gaze for a moment before strolling away from Cass.

The next morning Sam stumbled into the library to find Alyssa underneath a reading light, a laptop screen lighting up her face. He stood still for a second, studying her. If he didn't know any better she looked like any other pretty girl, completely normal. However, she was supposedly a psycho killer and possibly the most dangerous creature to walk the planet. Yet here she sat, peaceful, her eyes moving rhythmically while reading the screen.

"Been up all night?" Sam asked, approaching Alyssa and sitting down across from her.

"Sooner we find Lucifer, sooner he dies, sooner I can be rid of him" she says without looking up. "Yet, finding Satan isn't exactly a cakewalk. Did find signs of demons gathering though, something to occupy your time?" She looked up expectantly at Sam.

"Galveston Texas? Alright let's head out in 10." Dean declared flicking the laptop screen with the back of his hand as he went to gather his things. "Alyssa you're coming as well" Dean added as he walked past her.

"Excuse me? You want to babysit a newbie on a dangerous hunt? Genius idea." She jeered at him.

"Well I'm not letting you out of my sight and I'm sure you know how to deal with a few pesky demons" he jeered right back. Alyssa scoffed and rolled her eyes.

The purr of the Impala rumbled in Alyssa's ears as she listened to the brothers converse in the front seat.

"So, why would demons be gathering like this? Why now?" Sam asked, clicking on his laptop.

"I don't know man, maybe Lucifer is making an army?" Dean replied, tapping his thumb to the beat of the music. Sam sighed deeply and returned his focus to his laptop. "We'll find out soon enough anyways"