Chapter 4 ~ The Rainbow Corridor

Flynn reclined on one of the cushy red couches in The American Adventure VIP Lounge, sucking a can of soda through a straw as some W.E.D. officials entered and began speaking quietly amongst themselves. How unfair. He had come here for some peace and quiet after fixing the Fredrick Douglas animatronic after it started tweaking out, but these stuffed-shirt company men were encroaching upon his private time. Soon, three others joined them. They were all young; college-aged, by the look of it. Perhaps some new recruits. They began their meeting and Flynn put on a pair of headphones to drown them out.

The last to enter was a young woman. Aged eighteen to twenty, if Flynn were to guesstimate. Attractive, too, with long auburn hair, skinny jeans, ankle boots and a green denim over-shirt. She wore a backpack and had a starry-eyed look of anticipation and wonder about her.

He reached into the pocket of his leather jacket and pulled out his phone which bore the same swirly pink symbol as the logo that adorned his shirt. He held up his phone, looking as though he were attempting to snap her picture, but in fact, he was viewing her through a very special lens that allowed him to see something he couldn't see with his naked eyes. Sure enough, it was as he suspected. A brilliant light emanated from the girl, far brighter than any he'd seen for a long time. He nearly spat out his soda.

"Am I late?" the girl asked, glancing at her watch.

"I'm sorry, Mia," said one of the W.E.D. officials. "But some new information has come to light. I'm afraid you're not a good match for us."

"I'm sorry? I don't understand. I was under the impression I was more or less hired and this meeting was just a formality."

"Yes, that's true. But again, some new information has come to light--"

"Could you please tell me what you're referring to?"

The two men exchanged glances.

"We followed up on your resume. You stated you briefly attended Melrose University of Liberal Arts."

"Yes, that's true."

"Well, Mia, you failed to inform us that you were kicked out."

"Kicked out? I wasn't kicked out. I dropped out because--"

"We spoke to the head of the English Department, Professor Tremblay. She said you were expelled for plagiarism."

"WHAT?"

"Under those circumstances, you can see why we are retracting our offer."

"But I didn't--"

"Please don't make this harder than it is, Mia. You are certainly talented, but we can't take a chance on someone with your history."

"But--"

"You're dismissed, Mia."

"But I've come all this way! At least let me--"

"You and your family are free to enjoy your all-expense paid trip, but we will not be hiring you for our team at this time."

What are those dopes doing? 

Flynn couldn't believe they'd sent her away! Something about a claim of plagiarism. Her?  When the girl left, looking so much more than crushed, Flynn slipped quietly from the room. If they didn't want a girl with a spark that bright, he knew someone who would.

~~~

Mia came out of The American Adventure building with her head hanging, utterly dejected. Edward spotted her from his place at the fountain and hurried towards her.

"Mia, honey! What's the matter? What happened?"

With a choking sob, Mia crumpled in his arms. Her explanation came tumbling out of her mouth, muffled against his chest as she cried.