Chapter 46 ~ Through the Dreamport

"Dream Machine test run number six," a very tired but still very determined Blair Mercurial dictated into a handheld device. "The first five have been unsuccessful at achieving liftoff. Here's hoping all the bugs are finally worked out."

Blair sat in the cockpit of the dirigible, which was parked just outside his home atop Tomorrow Hill, overlooking the city below. Accompanying him was Kevin Flynn, standing beside the dirigible and keeping his feet on the ground, thank-you-very-much. At the young man's shoulder fluttered the Dreamfinder's tiny purple dragon, Figment.

"You sure about this, Prof?" asked Flynn. "After all, it was over a week ago when that Maldonian coast guard logged Neverland's location. Isn't it possible it could have moved since then? You'll be flying blind. And may I remind you I still don't trust this damn thing?"

"You've been abundantly clear on that front, Kevin. But it's run once before, and damned if it won't do it again! As for Neverland... It's the only lead we have. I have to try. At the very least, it's a start."

"Okay, Prof..." said Flynn slowly. "But if something happens to you, this was your idea. Not mine."

"Fair enough, Kevin. Positions, everyone!"

"You got it, Dreamfinder!" shouted Figment, taking off down the hill and out of sight.

Flynn moved towards the front of the dirigible where a single wooden block held it in place, keeping it from sliding down the steep hill. He picked up the long mallet lying beside it and looked at the Dreamfinder.

Blair lowered his goggles over his eyes and gave Flynn a thumbs-up.

"All right..." said Flynn hesitantly. "But remember, I'm doing this under protest." Then, with a flex of his arm muscles, Flynn swung the mallet down towards the wooden block, knocking it out of the way.

There was a loud creaking sound and slowly the dirigible began to move. Gradually, it slid forward, then with increasing speed, kicking up grass and dirt as it went.

"Come on, come on," Blair muttered as he pulled levers and turned dials.

The sound of a motor roared to life, but it had not come from the Dream Machine. Flynn was riding his Light Cycle alongside the sliding dirigible with the top down.

"I'm starting to have a really bad feeling about this!" he shouted to Blair.

"I have to pick up enough speed before lift-off, Flynn."

"And if it doesn't lift off?" shouted Flynn, feeling panicked as they drew ever closer to the brae.

"Then Figment will stop it."

"Figment?!" exclaimed Flynn. "What the heck is Figment going to do?"

"Just let Figment worry about that."

"I'm worried about it!"

The dirigible was picking up speed, but showing no signs of takeoff. It continued down the hill, faster and faster, leaving a trail of dead, flattened grass in its wake.

"Blair, the edge of the hill's getting a little too close for comfort!" shouted Flynn over the rush of wind. "You maybe wanna pull up now?"

"I'm trying, I'm trying!"

Over the side of the hill, a figure appeared, running up the brae. From afar, it appeared to be a young woman, waving something back and forth in her hand.

"Who is that?" asked Flynn. "She's heading right for us!"

The young woman neared, waving a piece of parchment in her hand, shouting, "Uncle Blair! Uncle Blair!"