Chapter 31 ~ Isla Tesoro

"A pirate town? Hook... I can't go to a pirate town! It's dangerous!"

"Nonsense, my dear. No harm shall come to you here so long as you are at my side. Besides, you cannot deny what I have seen for myself."

"And what's that?" she asked.

With a single finger placed beneath her chin, Hook tilted Mia's face to look at him. "The light of adventure in your eyes. You are curious; excited. You crave exploration and adventure. Is that not true?"

Mia chewed her lip thoughtfully. "Well, I won't lie... It is kind of exciting."

"Then bask in the feeling, dear Mia. And trust that I will protect you." Hook offered her a debonair smile before making his final announcement to the crew. "Hear this! Your shore leave begins now, men. Those of you I've selected to remain behind as a skeleton crew keep a weather eye until the others return. The rest of you know when to relieve the others. If I hear any man's overstayed his welcome on shore and neglected his duties, I'll have him strung upside-down from the highest yardarm for the remainder of our stay!"

"Good God," murmured Mia.

Hook glanced down at her with an amused expression. "You've got to take a firm hand with these reprobates, my dear, or else they'll take advantage of any generosity granted them."

There was a rush of bodies for the gangplank and much hooting and hollering as though the largest, hairiest elementary school class had just let out for recess. Men shoved one another off the side of the gangplank in the effort to get to shore first.

Hook closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose as though staving off a headache. "Degenerates," he muttered. "It'll be nice to have some time away." Then, breaking the illusion of an encroaching headache, he shouted, "MISTER SMEE!"

Mia jumped. One would think she'd have gotten used to that by now.

Smee stopped in his tracks just as he was about to step onto the gangplank. Slowly, he turned back.

"Aye, Cap'n? Anythin' I c'n do fer ya?"

"Smee, round up a few men and gather up supplies - food, ammunition, repairs, anything we need. You do have that list I gave you?" he asked dangerously.

"Oh! Aye, Cap'n. I gots the list right here!" Smee took a rolled-up piece of parchment out of his pocket to show the captain, only for it to unfold as the wind snatched it out of his hand. He fumbled for it and managed to catch it just before it could blow out to sea.

Hook rolled his eyes to the heavens as though silently beseeching some deity to grant him the strength to deal with the incompetents around him. Mia covered her mouth as she snorted back laughter.

"Do not lose that list. Also, if you should happen to come across Billie Howe, ensure that he receives an extra wage for his work as my spy."

Smee nodded vigorously. "Aye, Cap'n. Mr. Howe is clever lad. I knew he would be. Why, I remember when we was first-"

"GET A MOVE ON, SMEE!"

Smee hopped to and hurried down the gangplank. With a sigh, Hook turned to Mia, putting on a handsome smile. "Shall we, then?"

Reluctantly, Mia took his arm. "Couldn't we have gone somewhere exotic and less... dangerous?"

"I'm afraid not, dear," he replied as he walked her down the gangplank. "You so easily forget. There are very few safe harbors for us to dock. I am certainly not a welcome sight in any of the Allied Kingdoms. But you'll no doubt be reassured to know that while Puerto Dorado may not be under Allied Kingdom law, it is also not under any influence from my fellow Dark Ones, as you've so confidently named us. Which means it's one of the only places I can go where I don't feel like I have to be 'at work.'"