Chapter 40 ~ The Sea Witch

As the sun set below the horizon line and the stars came out to play, the lanterns were lit and the pirates held court on the deck of the Jolly Roger. With the day's work done, this was their time to play. Once more properly dressed, Mia stepped outside the cabin to take in the cool night air. Mr. Shaye was sitting on a barrel playing his accordion as he began to belt out a little shanty. Mia couldn't resist stealing a seat on the barrel beside him and taking the opportunity to do a quick sketch of the swashbuckling musician.

The ocean was calm and serene. The breeze ruffled Mia's hair. As she lifted her head to it, her eyes met Hook's across the ship and she smiled at him. As the tempo quickened, Bill Jukes appeared at her side, offering her a short little bow.

"Would you care to dance, Miss Baxter?"

Mia flushed embarrassedly. "I, um, I don't really know how."

Bill smiled. "That's all right. I'll teach you. Come!"

Reluctantly, Mia set her sketchbook aside and followed the cabin boy to the center of the deck. It wasn't a slow dance like at prom. No moshing involved, either. And pirates certainly didn't twerk. This was a sort of jig-like dance, something Mia had seen pirates do in old swashbuckling films, with a lot of footwork involved.

Bill was patient with her and a good teacher, and soon enough Mia was getting the hang of it. She hiked up her skirt and matched his feet, step for step. Then they were linking arms and skipping one way, and then the next. Suddenly, she was passed off to the quartermaster, Mr. Starkey, and then even old Mr. Smee, who in spite of his usual silliness, was actually quite a good dancer. As Mia spun and twirled across the deck, her long auburn hair ruffled prettily in the breeze and her feminine laughter carried across the ship, a delightful sound which was not often heard aboard the Jolly Roger.

It was a pleasant night. In fact, it may well have been the most delightful night aboard the ship in years. The crew's morale was skyrocketing. And it was all because of the girl... the girl whom Hook could not take his eyes off of. Mia may well be the best thing to happen aboard the Jolly Roger in a very long time, and the best thing to happen to him, personally.

Hook did not mind his men taking turns dancing with the girl. They wouldn't try anything untoward. Not under his watchful eye. In fact, watching Mia having such a good time with the crew brought a smile to his face. If she was beginning to enjoy herself here, then perhaps there truly was a future for her aboard his ship, with his crew... and with him.

Hook descended the quarterdeck, crossing the main deck in the midst of his crew's merry-making. As the lively dancing came to an end, Mia was passed off, right into the embrace of their captain. Hook's gaze flicked to the pirate playing the accordion.

"Slow the tempo, Mr. Shaye."

"Aye, sir!"

The accordion slowed to a melody of a different nature as Hook led Mia to the center of the deck for a slow, graceful, waltz. He danced in the smooth, elegant manner that only a man of good breeding can accomplish, reminding Mia that he was more than just a simple pirate. Of course, this only made Mia all the more self-conscious.

"I'm not very good," she said apologetically, gazing at her feet so as not to get tripped up.

"That, my dear, is why you let me lead. If you can work your feet around those fast-paced jigs, I'm sure you can ease into a more intimate dance." As though to emphasize this, his left hand moved to the small of her back.

Blushing, Mia's hand curled around the base of his hook as she followed his lead. "But with this sort of dance, there's a bit more pressure to perform, don't you think?"