Chapter 33 ~ Billie Howe

Mia and Hook stood on the terrace of a crumbling citadel at a remote part of town overlooking the beach. A little while ago, Smee and four other crewmen had met them outside Lady Montoya's tienda to gather Mia's art supplies, freeing them up to wander leisurely about the town. In a desire to put some space between themselves and the chaotic bustle of Puerto Dorado, Hook had led Mia to these idyllic ruins overlooking the north shore of the island.

"No one really knows what this place is," said Hook, gesturing to the ruins around them. "It's been here longer than Puerto Dorado has been a town. Since the time of the Ancient Dizgaians. I suspect it was once either a palace or a temple."

"It's really beautiful," said Mia.

She stood at the edge of the terrace in front of the stone railing and looked out to sea. Below them, miles of pure white sand stretched to the east and west. Northward, waves crashed against the rocks, and the sparkling sea went on for an eternity.

"How come no one else comes out here?" she asked, thinking about the rowdy crowd back in town. "I would have thought that pirates might want to loot this place. Or are they too dumb to realize that they could find something of anthropologic worth in this rubble?"

"Anthropologic, eh?" said Hook, casting her a toothy grin. "That thar be a mighty big word ye be usin'. We just be humble pirates, lassie."

This manner of speech was so out of character that Mia gaped at him for a moment until she realized he was being silly. She laughed. The sound echoed prettily through the ruined temple.

Hook closed his eyes and smiled. "Ah. Music to my ears."

Smiling, Mia averted her gaze bashfully.

"Dumb is the right word, Mia. Pirates are a very superstitious lot. Knowing that these are the ruins of an ancient Dizgaian civilization, they think there may be protective enchantments placed upon it, and they fear they'll be cursed if they trespass. Such simpletons." His expression softened. "But I'm glad of it. I'm very fond of this place, and I'd be much aggrieved if it were to be overrun with the likes of them."

"Do you come here often?" Mia asked, leaning against the stone railing.

"Every time I'm in town," he replied, resting his arms across the railing and leaning forward alongside her. He was looking out to sea, his gaze as distant as the horizon.

Mia was surprised by how peaceful he looked right now. The wistful expression on his face and the way the wind blew gently through his long, raven hair... Never before had he looked so young and carefree, or so romantic. Mia tried desperately to memorize every detail of this scene, for she would love to paint it someday.

"I've been coming here since long before I was captain of the Jolly Roger," he said. "Back when I was just a lad, a mere swabbie first sailing under the skull and crossbones. When we were in dock at Puerto Dorado, this is where I always came to seek repose."

"And you brought me here," she said wonderingly.

Hook turned his forget-me-not gaze to her. "And I brought you here," he echoed softly.

Mia turned her eyes back to sea.

Why? she wondered.

If this was his private, secret place, why would he show it to her?

Maybe he really does like me, I mean, if he's willing to take me to his secret place where he comes to hide from the world.... And he did buy me all that nice stuff.