Part 5

Date- March 25

Baz's schedule was back to normal the next day. Not like he had a schedule, or anything. He'd only been coming here for like a week anyway.

"Large pumpkin mocha breve," Baz stated as he stepped up to the counter. His hair wasn't up today. No, today he was wearing jeans. I blinked, surprised. It was a perfectly normal thing to be wearing jeans. Why did I feel so anxious?

I punched his order into the register and took his money from his outstretched hand, my fingers quickly brushing against his. His coffee was made and brought to his table. A small group of rich, snobby looking college students came in. Most of them sat down, and one girl strutted up to the front counter, flipping her hair. She ordered outrageously complicated orders for her and all five of her friends and huffed and sighed when I repeated the order back to her to make sure it was right. I made all the drinks, then piled them onto a tray to carry to the table. I caught Baz's eyes on the way over, and stared just a bit too long, paying no attention to one of the rich girls' bags, sat on the floor much too far out. I tripped, and the tray of hot coffees splashed on the ground, shattering all over the purse and staining a few pristine white sweaters and polo shirts. The group seemed to stand in unison, angrily shouting at me. I did my best to pick up all the pieces of the shattered mugs, and I tried to get paper towels, but the assholes wouldn't let me leave, they just yelled about making me pay for a stupid dry cleaning bill or something like that. Typical. As if they didn't have enough money on their own. 

"Hey! Leave him alone." I turned around, expecting Penny, then realized that Penny was at class. Baz had come to my rescue. One of the preppy looking boys jabbed his finger on Baz's chest, opening his mouth to say something sarcastic, probably, but Baz just took the guy's finger and pushed his arm away. "First of all, don't touch me. Do that again and I break your finger. Secondly, leave him alone. It's called an accident. Do you know what that is? Or have you never messed up anything in your life? You probably haven't. Your rich mommies and daddies feed you off a silver spoon." 

They all said nothing, for fear of proving Baz right. They just scoffed and flipped their hair in annoyance at being one-upped by someone less rich than him. I glanced sideways at Baz, wondering how much money he really had. The girl that'd ordered picked up her bag, still dripping coffee, and turned to me. "We won't be coming here again." 

I rolled my eyes. "I won't miss you." But as they left I felt a pang of guilt for losing business. Just because a group of people were a bunch of assholes didn't mean I could run them out of the cafe.

As if he could read my thoughts, Baz tapped my shoulder. "You good, Snow? It's not your fault they left, you know. They're trash." 

I shrugged. "Thanks." I went to go get a roll of paper towels, and when I got back, Baz was kneeling on the floor, picking up the pieces of the shattered mugs with his hands. He glanced up as I dropped down next to him, frantically sweeping the shards into a pile away from him. "I don't want you to cut yourself, Baz, go finish your coffee. It's my fault I dropped them so it's my job to clean up." I tried to push Baz out of the puddle of coffee and porcelain, but he swatted my hand away. 

"Screw off, Snow, let me help." 

I stuttered, trying to get out that it was my job, and I didn't want either of us to get in trouble, but Baz had already scooped up all the pieces of the mug and dropped them in the trash. He took the paper towels from me and soaked up the now lukewarm coffee on the tiles. He smiled at me as he stood up, and it felt like my heart stopped. I still couldn't figure out why I was so nervous around him! I'd never felt like this with anyone. I thanked Baz multiple times as he downed the rest of his coffee walked towards the door. He turned to me, half out the front door, with a cool breeze blowing in and ruffling his hair around his shoulders. He smiled. "Don't worry about it, Snow."