Sympathy?

SinB looked her dad up and down. He looked different. He's so skinny... His hair is thinning...

She could barely even recognize her mom. Her hair was getting gray and her skin became wrinkly. She was massaging SinB's dad's boney hand with her own.

SinB clearly saw the state her parents were in, but why didn't she feel bad? Why didn't she want to cry? Her mom finally looked up at her, but she could only stare back.

SinB's aunt put her hand on her shoulder before greeting her sister. "Unnie... How are you holding up?"

"I'm not sure..." She said before getting up from her chair and giving her sister a hug. She looked at SinB with wide, teary eyes. She reached for SinB's hand and smiled. "My baby..." She whispered, tucking a strand of hair behind SinB's ear.

SinB looked away and removed her hand from her mother's grasp. She looked at her aunt and her sleeping father before storming out of the room. She hurried to the elevator and pressed the button for the first floor. As the elevator went down, SinB's heartbeat quickened and she found herself struggling to breathe.

The elevator finally reached the first floor. The doors slowly opened and SinB stepped out into the waiting room. She sat down in one of the chairs, catching her breath.

"Okay Ms. Jung, you're all patched up now. Next time be more careful," SinB heard a male doctor say. She opened her eyes, curious as to what happened to this 'Ms. Jung'.

"Thank you, Doctor," said a young woman SinB could only see the back of.

Wait. Is that...?

The girl turned around the leave, but stopped once she saw SinB.

"Oh! SinB..."

"Yerin-unnie. What are you doing here?"

"I think the more important question is 'what are you doing here?'" Yerin said, crossing her arms.

"My dad's here. I came to see him." But I didn't succeed.

"Oh. Is he okay?"

"Yeah... Are you avoiding my question?"

"No," Yerin said, turning her head away.

SinB noticed a bruise on her neck and a large band aid on one side of her cheek. She looked down and saw her knee red and bruised.

"What happened, unnie?"

"N-nothing. I just fell while I was leaving the school."

SinB couldn't resist. "Why do I feel like you're lying to me?"

Yerin look surprised. "I don't know... But I'm not lying."

"Are you sure? Nothing bad is happening to you?" SinB grabbed Yerin's hands.

"I said I'm not lying!" Yerin said, breaking free from the younger's grasp. People in the waiting room turned and stared at the girls.

Yerin looked around, tears in her eyes. "I gotta go," she said before running out of the hospital.

"Unnie, wait!" SinB scurried behind Yerin, but stopped as she felt a hand on her wrist.

"SinB! Where do you think you're going?" Asked her aunt from behind her.

"Let me go," SinB pleaded, tears already rolling down her cheeks. She turned and fell into her aunt's arms, giving up. Yerin was already far out the door.

"SinB, honey, what's wrong?" Her aunt asked, stroking her hair.

"Everything," SinB sobbed.

After the whole thing at the hospital, SinB and her aunt went to a nearby cafè.

"Why did you start crying like that? You made me so worried."

SinB could tell anything to her aunt. She was like her second mother ever since she was born.

"I-I...." She sighed before continuing. "I was mad at myself for leaving my dad's hospital room."

"Oh, honey. It's okay. I completely understand why you left: you need some time." She looked away nervously, contemplating something. "You know... Your mom was very upset when you left. She said she thought this was finally her chance to get you back in her life. She really does miss you. Especially now that she's seen how beautiful and mature you are."

"I know. I want to stay there one day, but I just can't right now. It's too much..."

"Is that all that was bothering you?" SinB's aunt asked, smiling.

"Well... No. When I was in the waiting room before you found me, I saw one of my roommates. She looked terrible. She had scrapes and bruises all over her. There was even a bruise on her neck. I asked her what happened, but she just said she fell."

SinB aunt looked worried. "Do you think something worse happened?"

SinB nodded. "One day when we walked to school together, we saw her boyfriend outside the school. I left them to be alone, but I probably shouldn't have..."

"Why?"

"He raised his hand at her. She flinched and covered her face with her hands." SinB looked down at her lap.

"Are you worried he hits her?"

SinB nodded. "That's why I wanted to chase after her. I don't want her to feel like she can't do anything about it."

"I get it... Well I think you need to talk to her about it tonight. If this is actually happening to her, she needs to get out of that relationship quick."

"Yeah..."

"Thank you," SinB said before paying her taxi driver. She opened the door and stepped out on to the concrete sidewalk in front of her share house. Why was she nervous?

She slung her bag over her shoulder and entered the building. While walking up the stairs a bunch of thoughts ran through her head. What if she hates me now? But why would she hate me? I'm just looking out for her. Aw... It's gonna be awkward now!

SinB took a deep breath and opened the door. Yuju was sitting on the couch with Sowon, while Umji sat at the table eating a snack.

"Hi guys," SinB said cautiously.

"Hey SinB. How was your dad?" Yuju asked.

"Oh, uh... He was fine," SinB lied.

All of a sudden, Eunha ran into the room. "Guys! I still can't get ahold of Yerin. I'm really worried."

"She's probably out with Sehun or something," Sowon said.

"Yeah but she hasn't been home at all since this morning, and it's already almost 8:00. And she hasn't called or texted us yet."

"Wait, Yerin hasn't been home?" SinB asked. All of the girls shook their heads. SinB wondered if she should tell them about seeing her. "But I saw her earlier..."

"You did? Where?" Eunha asked frantically.

"At the hospital. She said she fell down the stairs at the front of our school."

"Oh god... I hope she's okay." 

"Guys! Yerin texted me!" Yuju said, jumping up from the couch.

________________________________

sorry i haven't updated at all. school's really been kicking my ass lol

also please excuse any mistakes i might have made, i didn't reread this chapter