Chapter Nine: Deathbringer

He grinned. "What?"

She looked bewildered. "I..I don't know what to say."

He shrugged. "I'm still your bodyguard, Ms.Bright."

She still looked startled, and maybe scared. He silently cursed himself for letting bodyguard down. I could have killed her.

But would I have?

Aren't we friends?

Kill her. You have to. Now!

Damn, Mother.

She narrowed her eyes. "Well, guard me and don't speak to me."

" I tend to get friendly sometimes, " he replied sarcastically. I need a plan. I can't kill her here, not now...I need a plan.

"Oh," she said, laughing softly. Her eyes flashed. " you idiot- you...you idiot-"

"Language," he said cheerfully. "I know, I know you're mad at me. But I can make it up to you- let's have fun."

" Fun? " she snapped. "You owe me an explanation. You killed me, everybody killed, me you're so dead!"

He grinned. Her cheeks were flushed and her green eyes are flashing in anger.

You're cute when you're angry.

" Yes, fun, " he said, ignoring her remark. "I know you love fun, my dear. Like when you got so in fun that you-"

"Shut up," she hissed. He smirked.

" Well, Glory, see, I owe you a lot- so you're going to get out of this stupid ball and, well, come with me. "

"Yes?" She said. " Are you sure about that? "

"Please," he said soothingly. " You're not going to get caught again. I owe you so much, Glory, we both know that. Please? "

He saw interest in her eyes. "We only had one date, you know."

" I know, " he said. "That's why I want you to come. I'll make it up to you, I swear."

He could see her considering it, considering all the possibilities. "Hm."

"Yeah," he continued. "Come on, you know you want to!"

Her eyes narrowed and her expressions were wiped off completely. Even he, an assassin, could read her face.

Glory walked past him, and for a moment he was worried that she was going to reject his request.

He stood there, reluctant of what to do, when she turned. A swift, beautiful motion, her hair flying for a second before they settled down again.

Masterpiece.

Glory Bright, she was beautiful. She was real but she was fake, like a goddess from a story.

In that moment, he would die if he killed her, and maybe he loved her, loved her back. He didn't want her to get hurt.

She was the sun, the moon, the sky, the ground. She was the lightning and she was the thunder.

She was simply everything, that controlled everyhing, was everything.

Then logic overtook him.

Glory was still staring at him and he raised his eyebrows, trying to hide his confusion and anxiety.

"What?" He blurted.

Glory smiled, poisonous. She battered her thick eyelashes and raised her perfect, thin eyebrows, her hands at her mouth in a tempting, daring move.

She knew how to play.

"You're driving."