Chapter Thirty-Eight

An year later

Tsunami

In the daytime, she would work her butt off doing schoolwork. Her mother had agreed that she needed some space, and she lived in the dormitory with her friends.

Tsunami could never tell her what had really happened when the fire happened. But it was best that it stayed secret.

The afternoons were the best. She went swimming with Riptide. Sure, sometimes people would flood them with questions and sometimes they would scream at her to leave him, but then they would laugh about it and swim. They would talk about the colleges they wanted to go to. They would talk about swimming and then they would play in the water like little kids.

She knew it wouldn't last, but it was nice to think sometimes that it would.

She didn't see Riptide for his handsomeness or his laid-back style. She didn't want to "change" him, and she certainly didn't want to force him into things he didn't like. She didn't want to be jealous anymore. She had lived her entire life wanting to protect everyone that she had bristled when someone she never knew came into her life. Now she knew that she had to let it be.

She didn't let the past haunt her. She wanted to move on, and that was what she did.

Of course, it wasn't that easy. Sometimes she couldn't sleep and the dreams haunted her. Thinking about Clay made her feel horrible. Sometimes tears would just come, but her friends were there, too. It was like a little sleepover between the four of them.

Once, they were walking around the ocean. They walked, gripping each other's hand, smiling. She stared at the sky and the ocean. She felt something burst inside her- happiness, longing.

With each step, the world became more beautiful. With each wave splashing the beach, the world became fuller. The smell if the ocean was so refreshing, it cleared her mind.

As they walked, Riptide turned to her. Something was different about him as he asked the question. His blue eyes were sparkling, and she knew that be would understand her, that he would do anything with her, for her. "Tsunami, what's your dream?"

My dream.

She pointed at the ocean. She pointed at the rocks, she pointed at the salty breeze in the air, she pointed at the sand.

She pointed at the sky and the steps in the sand they had made. She pointed at the waves splashing at the rocks and the birds soaring in the air. And she turned and pointed at him.

And he understood.

~

Starflight

He and Fatespeaker had met in the library. She had talked so much that he had told her that you were supposed to be quiet in the library. And somehow, they became friends.

She appreciated him for who he was- not tolerated him, opr hated him, or thought he was annoying.

Somehow, the quietest kid in the room and the most loudest could find similarities in their lives that nobody else could understand.

His friends had welcomed her when she wanted to sit at their lunch table. They had looked at them in a puzzled way for about a few seconds, and then they accepted it. Just like that.

Fatespeaker had comments about everything. About Starflight's weird habit of tapping his foot when he was reading, and how Glory always had a knack for opening tight water bottles. How Sunny always had a compliment for everyone the moment they sat down. How Tsunami always laughed hardest at sea puns.