Chapter Seventeen: Glory

A few hours ago

It was a joke to him. Everything. Her efforts. Her dreams.

Jokes, amusement. She was an amusement. She gritted her teeth and drive way above the speeding limit, not caring, not caring at all.

In her hand she gripped an address: she had ran into her apartment, expecting to find Morrowseer and her friends, but finding a note instead. An address, on her bed.

She finally reached the building. It was old, and the sign that had been once shiny and proud was worn down. The Windows were firmly shut, and the door screamed KEEP OUT.

Glory didn't keep out.

She screeched to a stop at the front of the door, and ran in, not even bothering to lock her car. Thankfully, it wasn't locked.

It was empty.

Completely empty. Or that's what it seemed.

She ran into the first room, ignoring the great fear in her chest. In the room there was a sight that left Glory mystified: a girl in a giant tube, eyes drooping, sitting on the bottom Indian-style, cross-legged. Small tubes were linked with the one that held the girl, and she seemed to have something injecting her arm.

Her appearance wasn't normal at all— rainbow hair and young, probably twelve. She was staring firmly at nothing, and didn't seem to see Glory as she knocked the glass tube.

"Hello?" Glory breathed.

Was this a test subject? What was she doing here? What were they doing to her?

Then the girl's gaze met hers. She smiled— a dreamy, sleepy smile. "You want to turn the machines off, silly girl."

Glory yelped, startled. "What?" She backed away, her fists clenching at her sides. She was stupid. Stupid to come here, stupid to even imagine she could hear Morrowseer. This was a project. Something complex, something she could not understand.

The girl pointed at a small switch at the left side of the wall. Glory cautiously reached out and flipped it off, biting her lip.

The girl sighed dramatically. Instinctively, she pulled the needle out of her arm, not even flinching, and tapped the glass three times. The glass immediately vanished and she stepped out of it, yelping in excitement.

She searched Glory. "Where's the food?" She demanded.

" Huh? " Glory backed away, her mind whirling. "What the—"

The girl yawned, her cheeks flushing. "I'm so hungry. That weird liquid stuff you weirdos are giving me isn't acceptable! Gimme some bananas, dude!" She stepped closer to Glory, and dropped her voice. "Also, the mascara on your eye is smudged. don't worry, I won't tell anyone!"

Glory pushed her away. "I'm not here to feed you." She stammered, fidgeting. "I...I'm here to rescue someone. Um...who are you?"

The girl brightened up immediately. " Kinkajou. Oooh, I just knew she were going to send someone! Here, take me out quick. Maybe nobody will notice. " her voice rose up into a whine. "They tried to kill me once. They, like, take me pee and give me shots. They take my blood and talk about my cells or something! I don't know!"

Glory sucked in a sharp breath. " what do they do to you, Kinkajou? "

Kinkajou pouted. "They try to make a venom...." She narrowed her eyes. " that can kill you in seconds. They take snake venom and inject them into people. Then they mix it, to create a new, more powerful venom...Something untraceable. They test them on us." She blinked, her voice normal like she was talking about the weather. "I'm the next in line. That's what Fierceteeth said."

Glory shivered. "I'm Glory," she whispered. " I-I am here to rescue some of my friends. Do you happen to know where Morrowseer is? " They inject them into people...A new, more powerful venom...

Something untraceable...

"If you help me, I'll help you."

Kinkajou tilted her head. "I would like to get out of here. But I don't know. If they catch me, I'll get in trouble. A boy named Deathbringer got beaten up for sparing someone's life." She flashed Glory a smile. "He's nice. "

Glory felt her pulse quicken at the mention of him. "Kinkajou...we won't get caught, I promise." She inhaled deeply. "I'll make sure of that."

"Ooh, " Kinkajou gushed. Her eyes glittered. "Are you a spy?"

She smiled faintly, her gaze traveling over the room. There was a camera, she noted. But she didn't care.

Let him see her.

Her hand traveled over do the side of her hip, and her fingers wrapped around the gun, a glimmer lighting up in her eyes.

"No," she said aloud, " but I escaped an assassin once. "

~

Please vote ❤

Look at the pictures of Deathbringer and Glory! I picked them lol..Credit to whoever drew those amazing pictures

Credit to whoever drew those amazing pictures