Chapter Ten: Glory

It was a party.

Madness. It was madness.

Men and women were there, drinking and dancing and singing. Deathbringer was beside her, laughing.

Loud music was everywhere, so loud that it almost busted Glory's eardrums.

She hated it.

It was full of drunken people, it was new and she didn't know that a party such as this existed.

"Hey, Deathy!"

Deathy. It made her heart skip. For a moment her eyes darted around the crowded room, almost wildly.

It was a girl's voice.

Jealousy. Glory had never felt this much jealousy before, never. All she could think was a girl is calling him Deathy.

Does he know her well?

She looked at Deathbringer, all this in matter of seconds. Wild.

Madness.

He was dangerous. Everything about him was dangerous. But he was fun.

Exciting. New.

Deathbringer turned beside her, and a blonde, young girl was there.

"Qibli," he said. Qibli looked at him and then at her, her face quizzical. " Uh...this is Glory. "

She closed her eyes and then opened them again. "Hey."

Glory stared at Qibli's eyes- they looked empty, with no life in them. Almost-- hijacked?

She shook the feeling away. "Hey," she replied coolly. She gripped Deathbringer's arm, although why she didn't know. Her jealousy disappeared and she felt a chill at Qibli's eyes.

Qibli nodded at a guy beside her. He had brown eyes and hair, and he looked nervous. He was tall, maybe six foot five. Qibli smiled and she linked her arm with him. Glory stared at him, and he nervously smiled back.

"Hi, Deathbringer. Hi...Glory."

Deathbringer nodded at him. "Umber, right?"

Umber.

"Yeah," Umber said. He rubbed his forehead. " too much alcohol. "

"I told you to stay away!" Qibli said, swatting his chest.

Umber suddenly smirked and swung Qibli over his shoulder, making Qibli squeal.

"I need more," Umber remarked, smirking. "Nice meeting you two."

Umber have Deathbringer a high five and walked away, grinning. Deathbringer shook his head.

" He's not shy when he's drunk, " Deathbringer said, nodding at the screaming couple.

Glory let him tangle his hand with hers. She stared at his hand, studying the long, white fingers.

"Hm," she said, uninterested.

"Qibli and Umber," Deathbringer remarked. "Melodramatic people. No worries."

Glory found herself laughing. "Indeed," she said, rolling her eyes. "All your friends seem that way." She let his hand go, smiling.

"Come on," Deathbringer said, pouring mockingly and taking her hand back and attacking the crowd of people.

She found herself looking into a crowd of mad people, her eyebrows knitted together. "I hate this," she complained. She clamped a hand over her ear, wincing.

Deathbringer took her wrist gently and held her up, grinning. "I thought you liked to dance."

" I do not, " Glory replied, rolling her eyes.

Deathbringer shook his head and Glory raised an eyebrow at him, daring him to object. He didn't.

She studied him, studied him like never before in that moment, drinking everything about his face wildly with her eyes.

"You're supposed to put your arms around my neck," Deathbringer whispered. He smirked at her as she did, her cheeks reddening in embarrassment.

"Stop walking and focus on the music," Deathbringer ordered. Glory sighed and closed her eyes, and heard the melody of the music. She tapped and they walked slower in the dance floor. Glory felt the corners of her mouth going up.

"See?" He said. " Beautiful. Hmm? "

She shook her head and dug her head into his chest. He held her tighter.

Thump.
Thump.
Tap.
Thump.
Thump.
Tap.

Her heart beating wildly, she pressed her head against his chest. They were the same level, same tempo.

Then she brought her face up and cupped his face with her fingers, closing her eyes softly.

"I think you deserved a kiss," she whispered, her heart beating in greed. Deathbringer kissed her lightly, just a touch between them and nothing more.

New things in one day. It was exciting.

She opened her eyes and felt it, felt the love rising in her chest like a fierce tsunami. And she let it be inside her, just today, where it was allowed.

She knew she was going to get in trouble sooner or later.

I'm falling in love

She thought

I'm falling in love with a bodyguard

I'm falling in love with a person I'm not supposed to love

I'm falling in love with Deathbringer

She pulled away, she had to get away from this, from everything -- she breathed deep and looked at Deathbringer, their eyes leveled and both gentle.

You don't know, she realized. He doesn't know. He will never, ever know.

Or love her back.

"I want to drink some alcohol," she remarked, smirking.