ix

The sprint to get to the busing area begins as the race against the clock is realized to be a losing battle. The eight are in such a hurry that they don't even get a chance to look at Cinderella's castle, which rises behind them in the distance. Upbeat Disney music plays as they run past, getting lost in the wind.

Arriving at the busing station, they get in line for the bus to Disney Springs, which is actually quite long. The bus is nowhere in sight and the time is now 4:52.

"It'll be fine," Jess reassures everyone between deep gulps for air. "It's not like they'll do check-in as soon as 5:00 hits."

"Yeah, we'll probably be fine. Cash, Daniel, and I were like, half-an-hour late to lunch yesterday and no one even noticed." Sean says it calmly but he keeps checking the time on his phone, turning it on and off every few seconds.

Three minutes later and the bus finally pulls up, allowing everyone on. The people in front of them take up most of the seats with strollers and bags and, well, bodies so the teens stand together, each holding onto a pole or a handle that hangs from the ceiling.

The bus rolls out of the parking lot and careens down the street, causing the people standing to sway and move with it. Disney music plays on the bus too and a few little kids sing along. A baby starts crying toward the back and the peaceful air is sliced into so many pieces that it disappears.

After another ten minutes or so, the bus pulls into the Disney Springs parking lot and jerks to a stop, flinging some of the passengers forward. The group scrambles, getting out of the bus first and sprinting into the shopping center.

Disney Springs is an outdoor mall/shopping center with streets lined with restaurants and stores and other various entertainment places, but to the group of students attempting to track down their restaurant they were supposed to be at a while ago, it's more like a maze.

"Which one are we eating at again?" Cash asks as they walk down the streets, giving up on running now that they're close and need to be able to read every sign outside each establishment.

"It's called House of Blues, I think." Jess says as they turn down a different street and get a view of the whole path, which is lined with more shops and restaurants. The sun is just starting to get low in the sky and the lights are coming in, making the whole street glow with a warm yellow light.

Eventually they find the restaurant and walk in the door, immediately hit with the smell of burgers and fries. It's not strong, but it's noticeable and seems to fill the air with warmth. Walking between tables and booths, the eight find their way to the chaperone table, where a mother sits with a computer.

"Let me guess, you are the eight missing ones. Lila Burleigh, Akanke Donovan, Lavender Kay, Rachela Kearns, Jess Mendis, Sean Sacchetti, Daniel Schaeffer, and Cash Treverton?" She counts heads and there's an arrogance in her voice, like she knows she's caught them in the act of wrongdoing and is happy to punish them. "Yep. You're all here." The mother types the names into her computer and her long fingernails clack against the keys. "Try not to be late next time."

"We will and we're very sorry Miss..." Jess starts to apologize but doesn't know the woman's name. The mother doesn't give her an answer so the eight just leave, looking around for an empty table. There's one toward the back of the restaurant but that's about it. Their dreams of going their separate ways are dashed and they realize they're stuck together again.

After a happy-looking waitress takes their order, Akanke decides to start up the game again. "Rachela, truth or dare?"

"Dare," she looks up and brushes the blonde curls from her eyes, adjusting her glasses ever so slightly.