Chapter 2: Congratulations, you are a criminal.

Layla's POV

I wake up I the most annoying sound in the world. Katy Perry is trying to get me up, but I am just too lazy at the moment. Why can't I just sleep all day long? It would be a lot more easier for the world, because lots of people already hate me anyways.

I just hit snooze on my alarm clock, and fall back asleep. I promise I will only sleep for another ten minutes.

I have a dream after I fall asleep. I dream that I am in the middle of the desert. I'm all alone, and very thirsty and hungry. I start walking to find a way out of the desert, but I can't. I start crying because I am literally starving. I couldn't find a way out and I was going to die of starvation if I didn't. But then I see a figure approach me, and whenever I can tell who it is I about die inside. Amber is making her way toward me, with lots of delicious food in her hands. She eats all of it in front of me, but doesn't let me eat any of it. I am about to drop dead because of starvation, but Duncan runs to me and stuffs a taco in my mouth.

"Are you okay?" He asks as he rubs my cheek with his thumb. His green eyes are showing love and care. He waits for me to answer, and I finally get a sentence out of my mouth.

"Y-yes, but I-I need w-water." I say while he pulls a giant water bottle out of his pocket.

Wonder how it fit in there.

He hands it to me, and I take it with pleasure. I chug the water, but the water bottle disintegrates. Before I know it, Duncan disintegrates.

I wake up breathing heavily, and sweating nonstop. I take a look at my clock and realize I missed the bus.

Yep, I definitely only slept for ten minutes... Not.

I yell for my mom, but she doesn't answer. I take a look around the house, but find nobody. How am I going to get to school? I could drive, but I don't have a car! My parents say its 'too expensive'.

I get a shower, and then start getting ready. I straighten my hair and put on my clothes. I am wearing a light blue tank top, jean shorts, and my converse.

I walk into the kitchen and find a note on the fridge, and decide to read it.

Dear Layla,

I was going to wake you up, but you looked so peaceful! I couldn't wake up my sleeping beauty! You also have my permission to stay home for the day. There is leftovers in the fridge for your lunch, and we have cereal for your breakfast. Enjoy your day off from school! You earned it!

Love,

Mommy

My mom wrote me a note, and said i could stay home? No, way. I have an English quiz, I have to take notes for Math, and I have to take Tara and Jasmine home today! There is no way I am staying home.

And I looked peaceful? During that dream I thought I would have screamed, but I guess not.

I roll the note up into a ball and throw it away. What? It was embarrassing. I mean she called me sleeping beauty!

The doorbell rings, and it snaps me out of my thoughts. Wait. Who would be at my house at noon on a Tuesday? I walk over to the window in the front of the house, to check who is at the door. I blink a couple of times to make sure that this is not a dream. I just stand there in shock with my eyes wide open.

Why is this happening to me?

The doorbell rings for the second time, and I start to panic. I can't believe Duncan would just show up at my house! Why would he even be here? Does he have a problem? How would he even know?