Nineteen

Ellie crept closer to Blake. He was still oblivious to the blonde upstart behind him. From here she could see the fine details in his paintwork, and they were growing larger by the second.

* * * * *

Malachi touched the commlink. 'You're almost there, Ellie. There's some rough ground on your left, so get ready to move right.'

'Ready.'

Jayce tapped Malachi on the shoulder.

'Not now, Jayce.

'Umm, something's coming.'

'Malachi! Mal' Tila pushed through a tight knot of people. It was easier than going around them. They shouted at her but Tila ran on. She wasn't here to make friends, and of enemies she already had enough.

'Hey, beautiful,' said one of Blake's crew. 'What's the hurry?' He placed himself squarely in her path, daring her to go through him.

Tila went through and vaulted the skimmer behind him.

'Malachi!'

* * * * *  

'Steady!' said Malachi.

'Malachi!' said Jayce.

'Now?' said Ellie

'Stop!' said Tila.

Malachi looked up at last. 'Tila? Where have you been?'

'He's going to turn. Blake. He'll slide over the line.'

'Now?' said Ellie in Malachi's ear.

'But he's about to win. Why?'

'Because he's an egotistical show off.'

'Mal? Now?' said Ellie.

'How-'

'Trust me. Just make sure Ellie doesn't move.'

Malachi didn't look away from Tila as he spoke to Ellie. 'Ellie, you hear me? Go straight.'

'I'm about to hit him, Malachi.'

'Hold the line, Ellie.'

But-'

'It's Tila's idea.'

A heartbeat passed.

'You sure?' she asked Malachi.

'You sure?' Malachi asked Tila.

Tila nodded. She had to be sure. She had to be right. But for Ellie's safety or her own need to win the race, she couldn't tell.

'Do it,' said Malachi.

Ellie's skimmer was now only a hand breadth behind Blake, but she locked her hands on the controls. She held the line.

Then Blake was gone. His skimmer turned, drifted right, and powered into the slide to take him over the finish.

And then he saw Ellie, almost on top of him, and still powering forward.

Shock flashed across his face. He tried to correct, but the quick turns sucked away his momentum. The forward thrust he needed to win was gone. Ellie's was not, and as she passed she threw him her sweetest smile, and stuck out her tongue.