Twenty Eight

Jayce had explained the way back to the gardens before he left Malachi and Tila in the library, but Tila's increasing disdain and distrust of their new friend meant that she hadn't listened properly. After she had led Malachi confidently down a dead-end corridor filled with bedrooms Malachi took charge. He was quickly lost too, but eventually he managed to retrace their steps and found the main staircase which connected all four floors in the building to the large main doors.

It wasn't the side door they were looking for, but they gave up, left through the front entrance and circled around building instead.

On their way, they passed three vehicles still waiting to be parked in the garage by the house staff who remained almost invisible as they carried out the tasks which kept the household functioning smoothly.

The sun was low in the sky by the time they emerged into the gardens. The burnt orange orb crept slowly lower, under-lighting thin wisps of cloud in shades of purple and pink. The colours of the grass and plants and clouds had also deepened and darkened in the fading light.

Aboard the Juggernaut, there were subtle shifts in the brightness and hue of the lights they used, which enabled the human body to better survive the long months - sometimes years - that the inhabitants would have to endure without the natural daily and seasonal shifts that were essential to the human body's natural circadian rhythms.

The Commonwealth may have spanned more than a dozen planets, but for all the sights and wonders available to its citizens, few could compare with the simple majesty of a glorious sunset shared with friends.

They had lived so long under the artificial white glow of light panels that the rich colours of the evening sky were shocking. It was like a bottle of fine wine after years of sipping only water.

They followed the sound of chattering laughter around the side of the house where they found an open doorway in an old brick wall. In the gardens beyond sat Jayce and his friends. They sat around a large wooden table on a flagstone floor set into the lawn. Plates of half-eaten food neither of them recognised covered the table, and cups and glasses of all shapes and sizes, filled with clear and coloured liquids covered the table's surface. Nearby were long straight tables which were being replenished by the household staff with platters of meats, vegetables and a dozen other things Tila didn't even recognise as food.

Malachi pointed at a door in the wall of the house.

'See. I told you!'

'I know, but it wasn't on the second floor, was it?'

'Where's Ellie? Is that her over there with Jayce?'

'Where else would she be?' Tila muttered to herself.

Ellie was waving frantically to catch their attention, one arm stretched high. With her other hand she shielded her eyes. The last low rays of the sun blinded her and lit up her blonde hair like a crown.

'Do you think she wants us to join her?' Malachi said as the gravel path crunched under their feet.

Ellie was waving with both hands now. Malachi raised a hand to acknowledge her and Ellie finally fell back into her seat and was swallowed by the crowded table.

'Hard to tell,' said Tila. 'She has a lot of new friends now. Do you think she still wants us around?'

Malachi smiled to himself. 'She will always want you around. You're the closest thing to family she has.'

'So are you.'

'Nah, she only needs me when she wants to something to go faster.'

Tila paused. 'But seriously, Mal, she knows we have to leave Parador as soon as we can. Is she going to be okay with that?'

'You mean because of Jayce?'

'I guess so. They've only just met but he won't leave her alone.'

'Jealous?'

'Concerned.'

'You don't have to be such a mother hen, you know. She's not stupid.'

'I know, but I still worry.'

'If you're worried about her staying, don't. She will follow you anywhere.'

Tila sighed. 'Maybe that's the problem.'

'How is that a problem?'

'Because I don't know what happens after this. When we are done here, what then? Do I go back to the Juggernaut and carry on? Am I supposed to lead some kind of rescue mission? Do I try and find others involved in the mission? What am I supposed to do?'

Malachi shrugged. 'Look, I don't know what happens next either. After today, and Conway, I have no idea where we go from here, but Ellie is going to do whatever it takes to help you do it, you can count on that. And so will I. Maybe we should go home first and make a new plan, but we'll get there.'

Tila hesitated before taking another small step toward the table.

'Is it home though? For me, I mean? It is for you and Ellie, but is it for me?'

'Of course it's home. You live there, same as me.'

'I don't know. I just.... Isn't home somewhere more than where you sleep. Isn't it somewhere you belong?'

'I don't know. I've never thought about it like that.'

'You fit there. You have a place. I can't imagine New Haven, any of it, without you or your father.' She smiled to herself. 'I don't think it would survive without you if I'm honest. But I don't know if I fit there any more. I'm not one of the family. I join in but I don't really 'join in', you know?'

'What about Ellie? Do you think she belongs there, or here?'

They were almost at the table now. Ellie sat with Jayce to her left, encircled by his friends, the centre of attention and holding court. Tila and Malachi couldn't hear what she was saying, but they could hear her laughter and see the joy in her face.

'You tell me.'