Thirty Five

'What do you mean, 'gone'?' said Ellie.

She and Jayce stepped through the door and Ellie tugged her hand away from Tila's grip. Tila noticed how Ellie took a step closer to Jayce, who had joined them in the garage.

'How do you know he's not around here somewhere?' Jayce asked. 'I don't mean to boast, but this is a big place.' He grinned.

'Is it really?' Tila said flatly. The grin faded.

'Tila! Stop being so mean to—'

'The idiot?'

'Everyone!'

'Guys, please, I'm right here—'

'I'm not being mean, I'm being safe. Someone has to look out for you and Malachi and keep us on track. We were supposed to have a meeting and get some answers, not take part in races and parties and whatever else the two of you are planning.'

'But we had to race to get the meeting, and it worked,' Ellie pointed out.

'And then Conway lied to us and stole our evidence.'

'But what else can we do?'

'I don't know. Something. Get it back somehow. We need to keep trying, not sit around here flirting with anyone who smiles at you.'

'I'm not flirting!'

Tila shot a glance at Jayce. 'He is.'

Jayce ignored the observation. 'Wait, do you think that's what Malachi's done?

'What, Jayce?'

'Gone to get the evidence back.'

'Don't be stupid, Jayce. Malachi would never do anything like that.'

'Although...' said Ellie.

'Although what?'

'He didn't seem himself earlier.'

'That was just Blake getting under his skin.'

'Yeah, he does that,' added Jayce. 'And it wasn't the first time.'

Tila looked at them both, unwilling to believe what she feared was the truth.

'Oh, come on. Malachi? If he's started breaking the rules then nothing makes sense any more. What next? Ellie wins a fight?'

'But how would he get back to the city? This garage is full so he didn't take a cruiser,' said Ellie.

'This is only one of our private garages. Guest parking is on the other side of the house. He might have taken something from there. Wait, do you think he stole mine!?' said Jayce.

'I doubt it,' said Tila. 'He likes you for some reason. Come on, maybe we can still catch him.' She took Ellie by the hand again and ran through the door back into the garden.

'Hey, you mean he only steals from people he doesn't like?' Jayce called after them before sprinting to catch up.

'He doesn't steal, that's the point. This isn't like him,' Ellie called to Jayce as Tila dragged her away. White pebbles skittered in all directions as they pounded over the loose ground. Each of Tila's footprints scarred the clean white surface to reveal the dirt below.

Except he stole his father's spaceship, Jayce thought to himself. He sprinted to catch up and grabbed hold of Ellie's other hand.

'Ellie, come with me. We can check the other garage.'

Then the screams began.

Tila skidded to a halt, sending white pebbles bouncing into the grass.

'Jayce, what's going on? Why are they screaming?'

'I dunno. Maybe someone spilled a drink?'

'Jayce, get Ellie inside the house. I don't like this.'

'Tila you're paranoid. It's nothing.'

'Everything is something, Jayce. Just do it. Ellie, go. I'll see what's happening. Go!'

Tila stepped off the noisy path and ran on silently through the grass.