Twenty One

Jayce pulled his cruiser over on the street opposite Conway's office building and turned off the engine.

'Are you sure you need to speak to him?'

Tila looked up at the building. It was considerably shorter than everything around it. In fact, it was dwarfed by the offices on the eight surrounding blocks. Odd, she mused, that so notorious and wealthy a figure would not want the grandest building in the city.

'Yes. We speak to him, and then if he won't help us we keep going down the list.'

'If you say so,' said Jayce.

'Will you wait for us?' Ellie asked Jayce as Malachi closed the door behind her.

'As long as you want.' He winked. Ellie blushed.

'Come on!' said Tila.

They crossed the street and entered the lobby through a glass door in a glass wall. A mezzanine overlooked the main doors from three sides and commanded an excellent view of the street outside.

In the centre of the room on a raised floor was a long, curved desk of black wood. Behind the desk was a wide staircase which branched to the left and right before reaching the mezzanine and a small bank of elevators set into the walls each side of the building.

Office workers drifted in and out of the building in twos and threes, all overseen by the many guards and security staff Tila noticed in corners, behind desks and looking down on them from the floor above.

A pretty receptionist greeted them with a smile as they stepped up to the desk.

'Welcome to Stellarcon Industries. How may I help you?'

'We're here to see Mr Conway. We have an appointment?' Tila couldn't help but phrase it as a question. She was still surprised they had got even this far.

The receptionist beamed. 'May I have your name?'

'Tila Vasquez.'

'Oh, Miss Vasquez, I'm so glad you made it here safely. Did you have a pleasant journey?'

'Umm... yes?'

'Wonderful! Now if each of you could just sign in here, a thumb-print is fine, I will have someone escort you to the meeting. May I bring you some water? It's imported.'

'Imported?'

'From the White Springs on Mirador.'

'I didn't know you had to import it.'

The receptionist indulged Tila with another smile. 'We don't, of course, but sometimes only the best will do.'

They each pressed a thumb to a white square built into the desk. Tila asked the question they were all thinking.

'So Mr Conway is expecting us?'

'Of course. Here are your visitor IDs. Please wear them at all times while in the building.'

'I guess Blake came through for us after all,' said Malachi, but there was doubt in his voice.

The receptionist waved over a young man in a perfect suit.

'Mr Conway's visitors are here,' she told him. He nodded and smiled warmly at them.

'This way please,' he said, and led them up the central staircase to the elevators on the left.

They travelled in silence, exchanging wary and quizzical looks. The elevator doors opened onto another lobby area screened off with more glass. Their guide waved a badge at the door and pushed it open.

'Please take a seat. Mr Conway will be with you shortly.'

They stepped down into another waiting area overlooked by a smaller reception desk and several doors. The room was filled with heavy leather furniture and small trees in large pots. The chairs almost swallowed them as they sank into the cushions.

One of the doors opened to reveal another smiling young woman.

'Why is everyone here so happy?' Tila whispered to Malachi.

'If I worked with girls this pretty I'd be happy all the time too,' he replied.

'But you do,' insisted Ellie.

'Eh,' said Malachi.

The young woman held open the door.

'Mr Conway is on his way. Please take a seat anywhere you like,' she said pleasantly.

They struggled out of the soft chairs and stepped through the door.