NINETEEN. will you catch me if I fall, peter parker

↯

Nellie felt her breath leave her body as she looked down below the bridge, the city lights reflecting in the water.

Negative had a strong grip on her arm, though he allowed her more freedom than she had when in the head lock he originally had her in. She stared down at the lapping waves, the fall air crisp and cool. Her bare legs were covered in goosebumps, and her feet ached in her Homecoming heels.

"If he doesn't come―"

Nellie shook her head, glaring at Negative, "He'll be here."

Her eyes focused back on the water; there was something so serene and calming about the lights dancing across the glassy surface. She almost felt her fear floating away with the waves. Then, something caught her eye. The reflection of a red figure soared across the water, her eyes following it until she looked up, Peter coming into view.

"Negative!" Peter's voice sounded from behind his mask, as he swung down from one of the support beams atop the bridge.

Cars passed by, the sound of engines and tires against the concrete echoing. Negative turned abruptly, his eyes landing on Peter, fully suited up.

"Keep your hands off of her. Nellie, are you alright?" His feet met the ground with barely a sound and he approached them hesitantly.

Nellie had never felt so nauseous in her life. She was unsure of what could possibly unfold, and she felt like she was on the edge―literally. She could feel Negative pushing her harder, her back brushing against the railing of the bridge.

"I just want to talk," Negative explained, his tone serious.

Nellie shook her head in response to Peter's question. Of course she was not alright; she thought she was going to go to Homecoming with Peter tonight, maybe talk about where their friendship had been leading, and then go to her new home with Tony and Pepper. It was turning out to not be the happily-ever-after she'd imagined in her head.

She could see, even though he was clad in his Spider-Man suit, that Peter was tense. He probably held the weight of the world on his very shoulders, as Negative was inches away from pushing Nellie into the waters below. Her heart thumped loudly, and for a moment, she wondered if Peter could hear it.

"Then let's talk," Peter didn't dare take one step closer, and Nellie didn't blame him.

"I know you're allies with Tony Stark. I need to get ahold of Nick Fury," Negative's fingers tightened around Nellie's petite arm.

She winced slightly from his fingernails burying into her skin.

"Seriously, dude?" Peter puzzled, the eyes on his suit narrowing.

Nellie had never noticed how much emotion even the mask could portray.

"You're threatening to push my girlfriend off of a bridge just so I will be your messenger boy?"