9

TW: homophobic/gay slurs, bullying, anxiety attack.

Casey was making Jace angry.

The two hadn't been speaking since Casey asked Jace to still help him with his homework. Casey was definitely angry at Jace; he was being a complete asshole towards Jace. Jace thought a lot about it, and he was going to forgive Casey at lunch. Jace couldn't stand not having his best friend around.

Jace's leg bounced up and down anxiously, waiting for the bell to ring. The teacher was blabbing on about an art project, but Jace wasn't listening.

Fuck.

Jace was freaking out.

What is Casey doesn't forgive him? What would he do then? Would he just have to let their friendship perish?

Jace didn't want that.

The bell rang loudly, it's piercing sound going throughout the whole school. Jace grabbed his stuff and quickly rushed out of class. Jace went to his locker first, putting away his stuff. He walked with his head down into the boy's bathroom.

After using the bathroom Jace went over to the sink and washed his hands. Jace looked up and jumped when he noticed three people that he didn't like walk into the bathroom. Jace turned around quickly.

Nick tsked. "Well, well, well. If it isn't the queer. Where's your boyfriend, faggot?"

Jace gulped and clutched his sketchbook tightly. "Casey's not my boyfriend.." Jace said.

"Yeah, okay." Nick rolled his eyes. "Well it seems like you're all alone.."

Nick and the two others started walking towards Jace. Jace started to panic. What is he supposed to do!? Jace just stood there as they walked closer.

"What? To afraid to do anything, pussy?" Nick spat, grabbing Jace's shirt.

"S-Stop.." Jace pleaded.

Nick punched Jace in the face. "Shut up."

Jace whimpered. Nick and his friends had pinned Jace up against the wall and beat him up. Jace just let it happen, not knowing what else to do. He was hyperventilating, and his vision was blurry. What did he do to deserve this? Jace gasped for air, tasting the salt from his tears that were pouring out of his eyes. He could also taste.. blood..? His nose and lip was bleeding.

Fucking hell.

By the time Casey walked into the bathroom, Jace was on the floor. Casey looked at Nick, then at Jace. He felt his heart break, Jace looked so broken.

But he didn't do anything.

Nick stopped beating up Jace when he saw Casey. "You're lucky that Casey's here.." He mumbled.

That caught Casey's attention. "Oh, no. Don't stop because of me," Casey said. "I was actually looking for Jace, so I could give him this back."

Casey dropped something on the floor in front of Jace and Jace let out a small gasp as he saw what Casey dropped. It was the friendship bracelet that Jace made for Casey. It was identical to the one that Jace had on his left wrist.

~flashback, 10 years ago, age 6~

Jace smiled as he ran up to Casey. They were best friends, and Jace had made something to signify their friendship.

"Casey!" Jace squealed, hugging his tall best friend.

"Hey, Princess," Casey joked.

Jace pouted, blushing. "I'm not a princess!"

"Yeah, yeah," Casey laughed, ruffling Jace's curly, blonde hair.

Jace smiled brightly as he pulled the friendship bracelet out of his pocket. He spent a long, LONG time making it. He wanted it to be perfect for his bestest friend!

"Here!" Jace said, handing it to Casey. "I made it for you!"

Casey smiled as he looked at the bracelet. It was light blue and it had a little elephant charm on it. "Thank you, Jace."

Jace smiled. "You're welcome! I made it just for you, and look! I have one, too!" Jace held out his arm for Casey to see. "This is our friendship bracelet. Promise me that we'll always be friends, Casey?"

"I promise."

~flashback over~

Jace let out a sob and grabbed the bracelet Casey had just dropped. Jace clutched it in his hand tightly.

So much for apologizing to Casey at lunch.