Chapter Three

A/N: Christopher Weston will be played by Benedict Cumberbatch. For those of you who don't know what he looks like, the photo on the side is of him. I know he isn't exactly classically handsome, so you're free to imagine whoever you'd like. I only ask that you aren't rude about his appearance.

Lady Havisham's ball was already the gaudiest affair Cassandra had ever attended and she hadn't even entered the ballroom.

The entrance itself was a mess of floral arches and a row of footmen stood to receive arriving guests, all of them donned in ridiculous golden attire that made them look more like jesters.

It only became worse as Cassandra and Nate went further in. The manor's foyer was devoid of people expect for a footman who relieved Cassandra of her shawl and directed the two of them towards a door leading to the ballroom. Upon entering the ballroom, they stood at the top of the stairs to be announced.

They gave their names and titles to the announcer, who provided Cassandra with a thick dance card decorated with gold leaf paper. The announcer wore an even more gilded getup than the footmen in the entry.

"His Grace, Nathaniel, Duke of Somerhall and the Lady Cassandra Whitlock." He said clearly, and quite a few heads turned towards the brother and sister who had just entered, most gazes focusing on Nate as he was quite the suitable candidate for their daughters to be married off to.

There were some eyes on her as well and, she had to admit, Amelia had done a lovely job in making her look nice for the ball. Amelia had been the one to choose the gown she had worn, which was a peacock blue number that was both pretty and striking against the paleness of her skin and hair. Her eyes had been lined with the soot her brother had brought her from his travels to India and her lips had been painted a deep red. Her features truly did appear to their best advantage.

Nate offered Cassandra his arm, which she gladly accepted as he led her down the stairs. Once they reached, he entered his name into her dance card for three of the dances— the first quadrille, the Scottish Reel and the third quadrille.

They were soon assailed by their hosts, however, as Lord and Lady Havisham approached them. Lord Havisham, a man by the name of Edward Winchester, was much less exuberant than his wife, Elizabeth.  Despite the latter's insistence that Nate and Cassandra refer to them by their Christian names, both siblings continued to be somewhat distant from the woman, who was the most notorious gossip London had ever seen.

"Your Grace, Lady Cassandra!" Came the greeting, accompanied by two kisses to Cassandra's cheek and a curtsy to Nate. Cassandra in turn inclined her head to both of them as did Nate, receiving a half-bow from Lord Havisham. "It is lovely to see the both of you again."

"The sentiment is mutual, I assure you." Nate said, even as his eyes scanned the room for escape.

"Lady Alexandra has not joined you?" She asked curiously, despite knowing only of their sister and not being acquainted with her personally. "She is of age, after all."

"I disapprove of my sisters being out in society at seventeen, Lady Havisham." Nate said firmly, "I will only permit Alexandra a London season when she turns twenty, which was exactly what happened with Cassandra."

"Of course." Lord Havisham said, inclining his head, "I only wish I'd done the same with my Jane. Only seventeen and already married." There was a note of remorse to his tone, and Cassandra had no doubt that he missed his daughter dearly. This was yet another reason for her to remain unmarried.

Lady Havisham, on the other hand, clearly did not feel the same. "Oh, I am so happy for Jane! To experience domestic bliss so soon is extraordinary. She was always lovely, of course, so I had no doubts that she would marry early. Her absence is felt, but I am glad she is married."